Chapter 14: Clarek

A few more planks of wood were tossed into the firebox of the rail engine.

"Timber! We need more timber!" the train conductor, named Clarek, exclaimed. "Ronn, Junil. There's definitely more in the carriages, go fetch it!"

Junil nodded and stepped over the destroyed coal car to the carriage right behind it. Most of that carriage had been dismantled already, the wood from the carriage going directly into the firebox of the steam engine.

Ronn was working on disassembling the last half of it with his sword. The edge of the Hero's blade glowed as he hacked away at the walls of the carriage.

"Do we have any more?" Junil asked.

Ronn nodded, then pointed to a stack of roughly-cut wooden planks laying on the floor of the carriage. The Healer scooped it up and immediately ran back, tossing it over to the conductor.

She then returned to Ronn.

"I don't see why I have to be the one that fetches the firewood!" Junil exclaimed.

"The train will not run otherwise, not after what happened to the coal stores."

"Yeah, and whose fault was that?"

"I apologize. At that moment, I had considered the strike necessary to capture the Second Coming."

"Well, you didn't capture her at all, did you?"

"And for that, I apologize."

The two were interrupted when the conductor yelled from the Rail Engine. "Hey, what's the hold up? I need more timber!"

"We need more wood," Junil said to the Hero. "Ronn, cut some more."

"I've heard him already," he replied.

A few more planks of wood clattered to the ground, after Ronn sliced them off the roof of the carriage with his sword. Just as Junil was about to grab them, he stopped her.

"I can carry them much easier than you can," he stated.

The Hero didn't waste a moment. Hoisting several large planks of wood over his shoulder, he carried them over to the rail engine. The man proceeded to deposit them right in front of the conductor.

"This should be enough to get us back..." Clarek said, looking at the mess in front of him.

"It better be," Junil replied. She sighed, dropping the own pieces of wood she carried at the pile. "Finally, we're done. I'm exhausted."

She stepped over to the carriage that had mostly been broken down and fell backwards right onto the floor. She remained laying there, sprawled out and staring at the sky.

"At least nobody got hurt," she continued. "I didn't need to use my healing magic."

"Don't get yer hopes up," Clarek replied. "If I need more timber, I'll tell you."

"Oh, damn it. How much stuff does this Rail Engine burn?"

Clarek adjusted his cap, which was stained in black dust. "It burns better with coal, but your Hero friend here knocked it all off."

"For that, I apologize," Ronn stated.

Clarek shrugged. "I'm just paid to run the rail engine. It's the manager who you'll need to apologize to. Gotta admit, the bit of excitement I saw today made up for the inconvenience."

The conductor leaned in a bit. "And, I'm curious. Who's that gal y'all were chasin'? Was she a fugitive? Associate of the Demon Lord? I don't usually see the Hero Party out 'n about doing this kinda—"