Chapter 20: Tinnel

Sollar didn't know what to think when she first saw the raft that was going to send her down the log flume. She's seen a handful of different boats before; most of them smaller boats, and even model boats that her brother would bring her.

Rissle's barge was the first boat she had ever actually been on. That one had been pretty big.

This raft was rather small. It was essentially a hollowed-out tree log with a seat on the inside, reinforced with some metal ties wound around it.

"It's like a flute!" Sollar exclaimed, pointing at it.

"A what?" Flaker asked. "What's like a flute?"

"She's referring to the boat," Serclow replied. "And it actually does... somewhat. If you squint your eyes."

The Snow Spirit shook his head. "I don't even know what a flute is."

"It's a musical instrument," Serclow grunted. "But that's beside the point. Help me get the log flume ready."

Tila, meanwhile, was preparing the chute that the raft was going to be sent down.

"Water levels are good... seems like the valves are working, too," she stated. "I can't believe this shoddy piece of equipment still works, somehow."

"You're welcome," Serclow muttered. "Oh, and those valves open like that. You have to open them in a certain order, or you'll undo all my patch job work."

"Wait, really?" Tila asked. "Why so complicated?"

"Just the way water works. Put too much pressure in the wrong valve and it splits open... becomes an absolute mess."

From his hip, Serclow procured a tool which began to glow in its center. The tool looked like some type of wrench, about as long as someone's forearm.

"What is that?" Sollar asked. She glanced at the unfamiliar piece of equipment.

"This?" Serclow asked. "It's my Tinnel. Useful multipurpose tool I had custom-made, lets me put things together."

"Tinnel. Oh, like Shov-ar!" the Demonfolk girl exclaimed.

"Yeah... like your... shovel."

As Tila and Serclow worked on getting the log flume to work, they could hear some distant shouting. Flaker glanced up, tilting his head to get an angle on the direction of the noise, as the Demonfolk man and the Human woman paid no heed to it.

"Sounds like someone at the front gates," Flaker said. "Want me to check?"

"Yeah, might as well. Since you're not being useful at all," Tila replied.

Flaker rolled his eyes. "I guess I'll start being useful so you don't complain."

The Snow Spirit skipped away to the front gate.

Tila pulled the log raft into the flume using a rope, giving a few grunts as her feet dug into the muddy dirt.

"Alright," she said, letting go of the rope. "It should be ready. I think you can get in. Unless you want me to lift you in?"

"I can get in!" Sollar exclaimed. With a surprising amount of dexterity, she leaped up and directly into the front seat of the log raft.

Tila glanced at her in surprise.

"...Still surprised at how athletic you Demonfolk are," she muttered. "Get comfortable in there, Sollar. And make sure you keep your arms and legs in, the ride down is bumpy but it's safe."

"Okay, Til-ar!" the Demonfolk girl exclaimed. She gave a thumbs up to the woman.

The Snow Spirit returned not too long after, interrupting the two.