Chapter 28: Ronn

General Forge stood with his back against the wall. Next to him was his shortened halberd, the one which had yet to be repaired since the two last fought.

He stared directly across him, at the armored Hero that stood right at the gate of the Palace Spire. The Healer stood next to the Hero. She was silent.

"Sire Ronn. You're here already?" General Forge asked. "I thought we had a good head start on you two. After New Frontierland, of course."

"General Forge?" the Hero asked. "I expected to see you with the Second Coming. Are you not accompanying her?"

"I'm glad my presence was a surprise," General Forge said. "Though, you're probably hardly as glad as I am."

Ronn's armor creaked as he moved his head to get a good view of the Demonfolk General. "Please step to the side, General Forge. I must tend to my duties."

"Unfortunately, I'm not letting you through here," the General stated. "If you want to, you'll have to fight me."

The Hero stood there, motionless. He seemed to be assessing General Forge's words.

"You don't want to fight," Ronn stated.

General Forge remained still. What other response could he have expected? The Hero was great at figuring out lies from the spoken word.

"Congratulations. What tipped you off?" he asked.

"I do not need to disclose my methods. Regardless, lay your weapon down. I can tell that you do not want a fight. Neither do I."

"You say you don't want a fight, yet you're still carrying that sword of yours that weighs half a millstone. Make up your mind."

Without speaking a word, Ronn stabbed his broadsword into the ground before him. The weapon cleaved through the stone bricks beneath, embedding the sword a fourth of the way into the ground.

"I am now disarmed, as per your request. Not wholly; I am capable of retrieving my weapon at any moment. But it is slightly more difficult for me to retrieve. Will this suffice?"

General Forge sighed.

"Of course, you'll stab your sword into the ground like the most chivalrous knight in the world. Because you are."

"That is my job. It is also my job to ensure the safety of this city," the Hero stated. He held a hand out as if to invite the General to his vision. "Let us end this madness once and for all. Convince the Second Coming to turn herself in, and I will ensure you will receive a fair trial despite the fact that you have aided her operations."

A silence punctuated the air between the two. The only sounds they could hear otherwise were the shouts of rioters and the occasional explosion from a fire-based spell. Even Junil dared not to say a word, for fear of breaking the tense silence.

General Forge closed his eyes after the Hero gave him the offer. He seemed to be considering it.

"What I dislike most about this is how reasonable your offer is," General Forge admitted. "If I had nothing but my self-interest in mind, I should absolutely take it."

He pushed himself forward. No longer leaning on the wall, the Demonfolk general brought his Mandrel up to his shoulder, and allowed it to rest there.

"And, I have to admit, I'm not getting out of this one. The Capital's garrison is currently overwhelmed, but they'll be able to quell the mobs by sundown. And the harbormaster likely has closed the port to all but incoming troop ships to put down this uprising."

The Hero nodded. "Your assessment is reasonable. But, even if you were to escape from the Capital, you are a wanted individual now. Any Demonfolk who would otherwise help you will be charged with assisting a criminal. You will find little assistance from your own kind."