Chapter 4: Billers

"So," Mister Billers said. "You're referring her for a job?"

General Forge was speaking to his current employer, a middle-aged entrepreneur with a striking mustache, monocle, and a bowler hat.

Billers adjusted said monocle as he squinted his eyes to peer at Sollar.

"She's my cousin," General Forge lied, patting Sollar on the back. "Sollar's a bit of a simpleton, but she's a hard worker. I can vouch for that."

Mister Billers looked from General Forge, to Sollar, back to General Forge. He seemed to be trying to figure something out.

"Admittedly, I don't see the resemblance," Mister Billers said. General Forge gave a short, nervous laugh.

"Well, you surely have a few cousins that look nothing like you. Right?"

Billers nodded. "Fair point. Will her lack of..."

The entrepreneur pointed at his own head, and twirled his finger around. "Will that interrupt with her work?"

"Well, she's a few crop short of a bushel, you can say. She certainly can't do any bookkeeping, but Sollar here is strong and especially skilled with a shovel."

"A shovel, specifically?" Mister Billers asked.

In response, Sollar held her shovel up to face-level. "Yes! I have Shov-ar!"

Mister Billers squinted his eyes, leaning in to get a good look at Sollar's tool of choice. "My goodness, what kind of shovel is that?"

General Forge blinked. "Pardon?"

"That's a high-quality shovel there. I ain't no expert in magic tools but it looks like a pretty damn high-grade one. Where'd a lass like you get that?"

"My brother made it for me!" Sollar exclaimed.

"Your brother? He was a toolsmith? Or a mage of sorts?" Billers asked.

General Forge, meanwhile, was internally panicking. He did not want their cover to be blown right then and there, so he held his hand up to gesture to Sollar that she should probably stop speaking.

"Her brother was... the War," he said. It wasn't a lie, but that was hopefully enough to shut down this further path of conversation.

"Oh. Oh!" the entrepreneur exclaimed. "I'm sorry for asking, if it's a sensitive subject. But I'm now suddenly curious. What's the purpose of such a fancy-looking shovel?"

"It's essentially a family heirloom now, you can say," the General replied. "I'm... not too sure what it does myself. But it's durable, so you don't even need to pay for her equipment."

Mister Billers leaned back on his heels, stroking his chin.

"There's been a bit too much labor around lately," Mister Billers started. "But the spring is almost here, and you can never have too much labor when it comes to sowing. Though, my purse strings are stretched as they are already."

"Sir. Sollar here does need some work, it's not like there's much else she can do. A request on my behalf, I will make it up to you."

Mister Billers closed his eyes and pursed his lips, deep in thought.

"Well, we certainly don't need intelligent workers, just hard workers," he said. "And as long as she's a hard worker, she can have a job."

"She's getting the job?"

"Sure. I trust your judgement," the entrepreneur said. He then smiled. "You're a smart fella. And don't worry about 'making it up to me', I still haven't paid you back for the guidance you gave me for hiring Demonfolk. So consider this... ehh, part of a repayment for that."