Chapter 30: Sollar

Nobody there knew what to do when Sollar keeled into the arms of her brother. Everyone remained still, in silent shock. Even General Forge and Seis were at a loss as to what to do.

That was, except for the Hero.

"Ronn, no!"

Junil had grabbed at the armored Hero's arm. Her feet were planted on the ground, skidding as he walked towards Sollar.

He did not seem to be deterred at all by her pleas to stop. She struggled against his arm before letting go, the Healer realizing that there was nothing she could do.

She glanced over at General Forge and General Seis, looking at them, wordlessly telling them to try to stop him. But it seemed that both of the Generals were also glued to where they stood, unsure as to how to react to the situation before them.

Despite Ronn's stoic and unyielding demeanor, his mind was in turmoil.

The Demon Lord was his rival through rite. That very same member of the Demonfolk race whom he thought harbored no love for any living thing was currently cradling his own dear sister in his arms.

Lord Luth glanced up at Ronn, and bared his teeth at the Hero.

"You've got what you want," the Demon Lord said. He was attempting to yank the chains off of his sister's arms. It was a fruitless endeavor.

"No. I did not get what I wanted, Luth."

The Hero walked right up to the Demon Lord. Even Junil had frozen still, both out of fear and anticipation at what Ronn was going to do next.

He kneeled down, his armor clicking as he leaned over to get a good look at Sollar. In response, Luth pulled his sister away from him.

"Get away from her," the Demon Lord hissed. "What more do you want from my sister?"

Ronn turned his helmeted head slowly towards Lord Luth.

"I am not speaking as the Hero to the Demon Lord," Ronn said. "I am speaking as Ronn to Luth. Now tell me. Has she ever trained in magic before?"

Luth was hesitant to answer that seemingly unexpected and unrelated question.

"...No. I've never trained her in magic. Why do you want to know?"

Luth thought he could hear a sigh coming through Ronn's helmet.

"These chains were specifically crafted by Madame Fraul to keep you restrained," Ronn replied. "They were designed to deplete your magic down to one-tenth of its capacity."

Luth looked from Ronn to the chains that wrapped around his sister. "I had figured. I was exhausted whenever those chains were on. Now, I can feel my energy returning to my body. But..."

The realization soon dawned on the Demon Lord.

"But for Sollar... If she wakes up, she'll be in immense pain."

Ronn nodded. "Indeed. She has not trained in magic at all. Her body is not used to the sheer amount of magic that is being drained, hence why she had fallen into unconsciousness."

The Hero glanced at his Healer.

"I would ask Junil to grab a potion to supplement her magical energy, but that is a very temporary treatment that may only worsen her condition," Ronn said. "I have a different plan of action in mind."

Ronn held out both of his arms to the Demon Lord, gesturing that he wanted to carry Sollar.

"May I?" he asked.

Lord Luth did not budge at first.

"I will not hurt her. Do not worry," Ronn continued.

Lord Luth was hesitant. But he then gradually lowered his sister onto the floor.