CHAPTER 57! cherry was the reason percy continued to breathe

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 𝐘𝐀𝐖𝐍𝐄𝐃

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 𝐘𝐀𝐖𝐍𝐄𝐃.

they stopped in a room full of waterfalls. the floor was one big pit, ringed by a slippery stone walkway. around them, on all four walls, water tumbled from huge pipes.

the water spilled down into the pit, and even when percy shone a light, he couldn't see the bottom.

briares slumped against the wall. he scooped up water in a dozen hands and washed his face. "this pit goes straight to tartarus." he murmured. "i should jump in and save you trouble."

"don't say that." cherry told him, with a frown.

"you can come back to camp with us. you can help us prepare. you know more about fighting titans than anybody." annabeth told him.

"i have nothing to offer," briares said. "i have lost everything."

"you're still alive. that's more than enough." cherry sat beside him.

"what about your brothers?" tyson asked. "the other two must stand tall as mountains! we can take you to them."

briares's expression morphed to something even sadder. his grieving face. "they are no more. they faded."

the waterfalls thundered. tyson stared into the pit and blinked tears out of his eye.

cherry motioned him over, and tyson crumbled beside her as he cried.