CHAPTER 77! he hoped he hadn't just exploded his girlfriend

𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐂𝐘 𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐘

𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐂𝐘 𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐘.

after thirty feet, it opened into a wider tunnel.

to their left, somewhere in the distance, percy heard rumbling and creaking, like a huge machine needed oiling.

he had absolutely no desire to find out what was making that sound, so he figured that must be the way to go.

several hundred feet later, they reached a turn in the tunnel.

percy held up his hand, signaling cherry, jason and piper to wait. he peeked around the corner. the corridor opened into a vast room with twenty-foot ceilings and rows of support columns.

the creaking and rumbling came from huge gears and pulley systems that raised and lowered sections of the floor for no apparent reason. water flowed through open trenches, powering waterwheels that turned some of the machines.

other machines were connected to huge hamster wheels with hellhounds inside.

suspended from the ceiling were cages of live animals. a lion, several zebras, a whole pack of hyenas, and even an eight -headed hydra.

percy gestured for his friends to come forward and take a look.

cherry has a horrified expression.

about twenty feet inside the doorway, a life-size wooden cutout of a gladiator popped up from the floor. it clicked and whirred along a conveyor belt, got hooked on a rope, and ascended through a slot in the roof.