Chapter 4: Unveiling Secrets

The night had passed and the air was thick with anticipation the school halls echoed the shuffling of feet as Joshua, Tyler, Michael, and Emma exchanged anxious glances. They needed answers, and Mrs. Whittaker lead Emma have gotten the might hold a key piece of information.

The group of of friends had talked in their groupchat online before all deciding to meet up and figured.it best to visit Mrs Whittaker again with Emma to see if she forgot any details

As the group gathered to visit Mrs. Whittaker.

Mrs. Whittaker welcomed them into her small office, filled with the scent of old books. Emma took the lead, her determined gaze meeting Mrs. Whittaker's brown eyes. "About yesterday when you said someone was in the library the Day Jessica was murdered. Do you know where he might be today?"

Mrs. Whittaker hesitated for a moment, her gaze shifting between the eager faces of the group. Finally, she nodded and revealed, "Yes, it was a student here named Edward Harris. He came in, asking about Jessica. He Seemed desperate, like he needed something urgently."

The revelation hung in the air, and the group exchanged questioning glances. Edward was a name they hadn't expected, and the urgency of his inquiry added another layer of mystery to the unfolding events.

Joshua spoke up
"Edward was always hanging out with Kayla too, usually for them to discuss college events planning or homework".

As they left Mrs. Whittaker's office, Hannah unexpectedly appeared in the hallway. Her eyes widened with surprise as she took in the serious expressions of her friends. Joshua, still grappling with conflicting emotions, met her gaze with a mix of uncertainty and frustration.

Hannah took a deep breath, breaking the tension that clung to the hallway. "Joshua, I'm sorry. I should have been more supportive. I know this is tough for you, and I want to be there for you, even when it's uncomfortable for me and I wanna move on I understand she meant alot to all of us and she was my friend since 3rd grade and your girlfriend of 6 years even if I'm your girlfriend now I need to support this more and it's unfair if more people die because I'm being selfish with my mind."

Joshua looked at Hannah, his guard softening as he appreciated her sincerity. "I appreciate that, Hannah. It's just hard dealing with the past I know that I lashed out yesterday at two of my teammates. but we're all in this together now and we're gonna see what Edward knows"
As he clinches his fist by his side."

With a nod and smile Hannah joined the group, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead. The five friends decided to track down Edward and get to the bottom of why he was seeking Jessica the day she died.

They found Edward in the college lobby engrossed in a stack of history books. the group approached him, and Emma took the lead. "Edward, we heard you were looking for Jessica the day she was murdered. What do you know about what happened?"

Edward, looking surprised by the sudden questioning, stammered, "I-I-I was just trying to get some class notes. Jessica and I were in the same History class, and I missed a lecture. I thought she might have the notes I needed which she did."

The friends exchanged glances, absorbing Edward's explanation. While it seemed plausible, a lingering doubt persisted. Emma, always the skeptic, pressed further, "Edward, why were you so desperate that day? Why not wait until the next day to ask her for notes?"

Edward's eyes flickered with hesitation before he admitted, "I needed the notes urgently for an assignment due the next morning which is today, It was important, and I didn't want to risk falling behind. I'm very sorry to hear she passed away later that afternoon though were you all friends with her?"

As the group considered Edward's response, the weight of the situation pressed upon them. The search for answers had led them to Edward, who claimed innocence in Jessica's murder. Yet, the mystery loomed larger, and the friends realized they had only scratched the surface of the secrets buried within Crestwood University.

Emma responded
"No we didn't personally know her but we think whoever killed her may have been the murderer of our friend Kayla last year on the same day and the murders are very similar."

Edward with shock
"I am sorry to hear that I really hope"

He was interrupted by Joshua
Grabbing Edwards shirt rough throwing him against the table grabbing him
"Listen here if you know anything about what happened with either of them you're not telling us I'm gonna!"

He was also interrupted by Tyler and Emma
"Stop!" Both of them yelled as Tyler pulled Joshua off Edward.

Joshua sighed and apologized.
Hannah and Michael watched in shock.

Later that evening, with the campus settling into a quiet night, Emma and Tyler found themselves in the university courtyard. The memory of Kayla lingered in the air, and the two friends sat on a bench, lost in thought.

Emma spoke first, her voice tinged with nostalgia. "Remember when Kayla organized that surprise party for Michael's birthday? The laughter and joy we shared back then seemed like a distant echo now."

Tyler nodded, a wistful smile playing on his lips. "Yeah, those were good times. Kayla had a way of bringing everyone together. It's hard to believe she's gone I feel like Joshua was a lot less angry of a person back then too."

The two friends reminisced about shared moments, finding solace in the memories that connected them to the friend they had lost. As they talked, a sense of camaraderie and understanding felt over them. providing a brief respite from the ongoing turmoil of the murders.

Emma laying her head on Tyler's shoulder looking up at the moon.

Meanwhile, as Joshua and Hannah walked back to their dorm, the weight of unspoken emotions hung in the air. Hannah hesitated before finally breaking the silence, her voice soft and apologetic. "Joshua, I'm really sorry again for everything lately. I should have been more understanding, more supportive. I know it's not easy for you, and I want to be there for you, it's not easy for me either and I just wanna be happy and it feels like a different lifetime and I don't like the idea of you not being with me.

Joshua stopped and turned to face her, his eyes reflecting a mixture of gratitude and pain. "Hannah, I appreciate your apology, it's fine really. , This whole situation is tough, and I know you're trying. Let's just take it one step at a time together, I will find out what is going on."

Hannah nodded, and in that moment, the two found a fragile but sincere understanding. The complexities of their current relationship and the shared history with Kayla intertwined creating a delicate tapestry of emotions that neither could fully unravel or understand.