Chapter 23: Finish the List

"Where's Hannah and what happened to your face" Tyler asked his voice tinged with worry.

Joshua struggling to find the right words replied
"She needed some time alone. It got heated with Hector and she said some things that didn't set well with him."

Emma perceptive as ever raised her brow. "What exactly happened Joshua? Are you okay?"

Tyler leaned in echoing Emma's concern.
"Yeah man. You don't look okay. We need to know what went down."

Reluctantly Joshua recounted the dumpster confrontation mentioning Hannah's role in escalating the situation. He spared no detail sharing the heated exchange of words and Hector's unexpected punch to his face.

Emma her expression shifting from concern to a thoughtful frown spoke up.
"I'm sorry to hear that went down, all of that explains why she didn't wanna come back with you though."

Michael who had been listening attentively chimed in
"Well we've got a few suspects left and we need to question them tomorrow with or without Hannah so let's split up and talk to the remaining people on our list to finish it."

Emma nodded taking charge.
"Agreed. Michael you can talk to Gretchen the girl who was new during Kayla's murder, Tyler and I will handle Richie the shy, quiet kid not many people know about, Joshua, you need to meet up with Hannah. She's the last suspect unchecked after that and she's most willing to talk to you even after earlier."

Joshua hesitated uncertainty clouding his expression.
"I don't know how she'll react after tonight. It might not be the best time tomorrow."

Michael offered a reassuring smile.
"Give her some space for now We'll meet up again tomorrow morning and figure it all out."

The group dispersed each carrying the weight of knowing this would be the last people to question before they had to narrow down the list, As Joshua left Emma's dorm the darkened streets mirrored the uncertainty that lingered in his mind that the killer could be so close to being caught and could be somebody he knows personally like Hannah or Kevin.
the next steps in the investigation felt more crucial than ever.

The next day dawned Crestwood University was quiet. Determined to crack the case the group set out to question the remaining suspects. Emma and Tyler found themselves facing Richie the reserved shy guy who had managed to remain pretty unknown on campus.

Richie's demeanor was very timid introverted, and reluctant to be in the spotlight.
As they approached Richie in the college grounds he shifted uncomfortably his gaze glued to the ground.

Tyler sensing Richie's unease took the lead. "Hey Richie we're here to ask you a few questions but it's nothing to worry about okay?"

Emma chimed in her tone gentle
"Absolutely Richie. We just want to understand what you might know about Jessica and perhaps Kayla."

Richie mumbled a barely audible acknowledgment his eyes darting nervously between Emma and Tyler.

Undeterred Tyler continued his soothing approach.
"You don't have to be nervous Richie we're just trying to piece things together and found your name in some files Can you tell us anything you remember from this day Jessica was murdered right here?"
As he showed him the day.

Richie hesitated his discomfort being very noticeable.
After a few more attempts to coax information Richie finally found the courage to speak.
"I um don't talk much It's hard for me but that day I was outside because um my apartment was getting bombed for roaches. I have the exterminator receipt and everything if you need to look."

Emma nodded understandingly
"That must have been quite unsettling Can you recall anything specific about that day while outside your dorm Richie?"

Tyler maintaining a patient demeanor encouraged Richie further
"Take your time Richie anything you remember can help."

Richie gaining a little spec of confidence shared "I was playing Pokémon Go I caught a gold Psyduck. It was pretty cool." He eagerly showed Tyler the Pokémon on his app a glimmer of pride in his eyes.

Emma sensed an opportunity to delve deeper into Richie's personal struggles.
"Richie we appreciate you sharing this with us. Is it rare for you to be outside like that?"

Richie nodded "Yeah, I don't go out much. But that day I had to. It was smelly in the apartment and I couldn't breathe it in"

Richie hesitated before opening up more.
"It's tough I get really anxious around people and it's hard to talk. I prefer being alone. Pokémon Go helps though It's something I enjoy and it gets me outside sometimes."

Emma expressing empathy continued
"It sounds challenging Richie We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Is there anything else you remember about that day even if it seems small?"

Richie paused deep in thought
"No Not really. After catching the Psyduck I went back inside once the exterminators were done It was just a regular day and I played some Minecraft with my online buddies Steve and Miguel"

Upon wrapping up the conversation Emma and Tyler left Richie reassured that he possessed a solid alibi with the exterminator receipt and displayed no apparent motive.
Tyler leaned in and whispered to Emma, "He's definitely not our guy. Social anxiety and catching a gold Psyduck? I think we can cross him off the list."

Emma nodded making mental notes about their findings. The investigation continued its course another chapter in their books done and unraveling the complexities of each suspect's story one detail at a time.