Chapter 36: The Long Wait

The hospital's plain white walls enveloped the anxious group as they were in the waiting room In the dimly lit waiting area, Hannah and Emma found themselves sitting side by side, their nerves palpable in the quiet tension of the room.

Hannah her eyes reflecting many emotions turned to Emma.
"I'm sorry Emma" she began
her voice containing a mixture of sincerity and regret.
"I didn't mean to be so difficult during the investigation, i know in the end we were all just trying to help and I'm glad we got the right guys and didn't listen to me and I appreciate everything you and the others have done."

Emma understanding and loyal to a fault, offered a warm smile.
"That's all in the past now" she reassured. "We're just focused on everyone here making it through the night, it's like we're all bonded together by some type of fate or something anyhow, we will always stick together whether we want to or not." She laughed momentarily cheering the mood.

As they waited the hospital staff attended to patent injuries. The occasional sound of footsteps and distant medical chatter echoed through the corridor.

After a while Michael emerged from the treatment area his face showing signs of relief. He approached the two girls in the waiting room with concern etched on his face.

"Any updates on Joshua and Tyler?" Michael inquired with his gaze shifting between both Hannah and Emma.

Hannah shook her head.
"Not yet we're still waiting for news on them."

Michael took a seat beside them the tension lingering as they collectively waited for any information. They thought about all of the events during the past week a surreal and chaotic sequence that had now brought them to this hospital waiting room.

Michael spoke
"The treatment here is good, I have faith in the staff getting Tyler and Joshua both back to being their best."

Emma added
"I'm glad to hear that, I've been so worried and stressed all night, I just want to be able to rest after all of this."

The slow passing of time seemed to magnify the uncertainty they felt within the hushed conversations under the florescent lights of the hospital.

As time passed, Michael attempted to lighten the atmosphere.
"You know Hannah, I can't believe how much you beat Matt's ass you really busted his balls you could say."

Hannah laughed
"Please, Michael now isn't the time."

Michael insisted
"No, now is definitely the time we need to not go crazy in here just waiting and staring at walls like we're expecting some kind of impending doom."

Emma chimed in
"What happened exactly after I left with Tyler?"

As the slow passing of time still continued in the hospital waiting room Michael took a deep breath and began recounting the events that unfolded after Emma left with Tyler.

Michael leaned back in his chair his eyes reflecting the intensity of the recent experiences.
"Well after you took off with Tyler to the hospital"
he started
"things took an unexpected turn Joshua was tied up to a tree and those two psychos, Kevin and Matt were about to do some serious harm to him with a knife to the face like they did the others."

Emma gaze intensified and she listened intently as Michael painted a vivid picture of the chaos that ensued.

"So I saw what was about to happen and I tackled Kevin to the ground knocking his knife out and me and Hannah here took on Kevin and Matt"
Michael continued.
"Hannah she was a force to be reckoned with she went straight for Matt and well let's say she gave him a thorough beating to a specific region you don't want to be hit, It was brutal but considering what they both did it felt like a small taste of justice honestly."

Emma shocked looked at Hannah.

"As for me" Michael continued "I grappled with Kevin it was a full-on brawl. He managed to get a knife and cut my upper bicep and got some hits in on my face but I wasn't about to let him win we fought tooth and nail and in the end I kicked the knife from his hand and with a punch to his face I Knocked him out cold and freed Joshua as Hannah continued to smash in Matt's Nether region."

Emma's eyes widened as she listened to the details realizing the extent of the danger they all faced.

"After that we tied Kevin and Matt to the tree they had Joshua at before." Michael explained. "The police arrived shortly after once we called them and the two goons were taken into custody and the officers took statements from Joshua, Hannah, and me. We made sure to give them every detail so those two won't be seeing daylight for a long time."

"As for you Hannah," Michael said, turning to her, "you were incredible You stood up against those monsters and didn't back down you really gave us a chance to end this nightmare, you have shown real maturity the last day, and well you really busted Matt's balls" he added with a laugh.

Hannah chuckled with a mix of emotions playing on her face.
"Thanks Michael. I just couldn't let them get away with what they did and I had it built up for a long time."

Michael nodded the gravity of the situation lingering in the air.
"Now look at us we're all here waiting in a hospital on a wild Friday night, hoping for our friends to get a speedy recovery."

As time continued its sluggish march in the hospital waiting room Emma's eyes widened in shock at Michael's recount of the intense confrontation with Kevin and Matt. Before she could find words to respond the atmosphere shifted as Joshua walked into the room his hand bandaged.

"You can't get rid of me that easily guys" Joshua declared with a slight smirk interrupting the conversation.

Emma's shock turned into a mix of relief and surprise.
"Joshua!" she exclaimed rising from her seat to approach him.

Hannah jumping up ran to hug him tightly as Joshua let out a wheeze as his eyes widened.

Michael laughed
"Hannah get off Joshua for a minute before he actually dies this time."

The group was shocked by this unexpected entrance, the nurse hadn't had time to notify them yet, The hospital's gloomy environment suddenly felt warmer filled with a sense of victory.

Joshua continued
"So I heard you guys needed a hand" he added with a playful smile gesturing to his bandaged hand.

Michael couldn't help but laugh at the pun and Hannah joined in. Emma, her initial shock giving way to a smile said
"You had us worried for a moment there."

The group settled back into their seats, as Joshua shared his version of the recent events detailing his escape with help from Michael and the after encounter with the police.
The waiting room buzzed with a mix of emotions, but questions still had to be answered before this story could have a happy ending.