Chapter 20: Blues & Sorrows

Tyler and Emma approached Jack and Emma bent down looking at him sitting by the tree. She waved to get his attention and Jack took off his headset to talk to them.

Emma began with a compassionate tone
"Hey I'm sorry about Jessica I heard what happened.and I know you two were close."

Tyler nodded adding
"It's never easy losing someone."

Jack with gratitude in his eyes replied
"Thank you."
He then began asking if they knew anything about her death.
"So do you guys know anything about what happened to Jessica?"

Emma sighed
"You could say we know about it We've been investigating the murder because she died just like our friend Kayla did last year and we think it's the same killer and connected."

Jack was shocked by this revelation, then questioned
"Oh I see Are you investigating me then?"

Tyler and Emma exchanged awkward glances before confirming that they were explaining he was in the area of her murder according to some files.

Emma spoke
"Uh yeah I'm sorry we are but we're not blaming or anything, it's just we're asking a lot of people who might be connected who student IDs were in locations during the time.

Jack now realizing the gravity of the situation agreed and asked if they would like to sit.

Emma sat down beside Jack and Tyler stood and watched.
Emma unfolded the purpose of their investigation drawing parallels between Jessica's recent murder and the tragic loss of their friend Kayla the previous year.
Jack though grieving still listened.

With a heavy sigh
Jack began recounting the events leading to Jessica's death.
"We were just hanging out me and Jessica it was like any other day. We had plans to grab some food. It was all normal until I felt a sudden impact on the back of my head. Everything went black."

His hands trembled as he continued
"When I woke up disoriented I found myself on the ground. Jessica, she was..." Jack's voice cracked and he struggled to continue.
"It felt like time froze when I saw her lifeless. The police came and questioned me repeatedly It was a nightmare."

Jack described the relentless scrutiny he faced. "They grilled me suspected me but they found nothing linking me to the crime besides that I was with her when she was killed I was innocent yet the weight of losing Jessica and the suspicion was unbearable."

Emma sensing the pain in his words offered a comforting touch holding his shoulder.
Jack appreciated the silent solidarity.
"I just want justice for Jessica too and to know who knocked me out" he said with a mix of sorrow and determination. "I've been living this nightmare and if finding the truth can bring her justice and get my name clear I would much appreciate your guys help."

Tyler, sensing the weight of Jack's loss, apologized, "I'm sorry you had to lose your friend like that. We don't like pinning blame, but we had to ask to get to the bottom of all this."

As the conversation unfolded, they delved into deeper topics. Jack shared memories of Jessica describing her as a vibrant and caring friend. Emma and Tyler in turn, opened up about their own losses including Kayla creating a bond of understanding amid the tragic circumstances.

Later that night all five of them gathered in Emma's dorm the air heavy with the weight of their findings.

Tyler and Emma opened up sharing the details about their conversation with Jack.
Tyler began recounting their interaction with Jack earlier that day.
"Jack is going through a lot he was with Jessica when she died and he was Knocked out cold by the murderer then woke up to find her dead. The police questioned him extensively but found nothing to link him to the crime."

Emma nodded in agreement adding
"It was tough for him I think He's innocent, he's been living through a nightmare. We wanted to be careful talking to him considering what he's been through."

Michael deep in thought responded
"That's a heavy burden for him to bear. Losing a friend and being a suspect on top of it that's a lot to handle."

Hannah visibly distressed chimed in
"This is getting so dumb. Why can't we just find Hector and Randy already and be done with it? I'm sick of all this unnecessary bullshit."

Joshua tried to calm the situation.
"We're trying to get to the bottom of everything Hannah. We need to be thorough. Accusing someone without evidence isn't the answer."

As the group continued to discuss Jack's situation Michael shifted the focus to Raquel's alibi.
"On another note, I spoke to Raquel today. She has a solid alibi for the time of the murder. She was at track practice late and there's someone named Luisa who can vouch for her innocence and some others apparently."

Emma spoke
"That's good to know. It seems like we can cross Raquel off the list of suspects."

Tyler: "Yeah no one deserves to be falsely accused. I'm glad we're finding out the truth about these alibis."

Hannah visibly frustrated interjected: "This is so fucking dumb guys!" She expressed her frustration, stating that she believed Hector and Randy were obviously guilty, and she wanted the ordeal to end with their arrest already.

Michael, maintaining a calm demeanor, responded "Hannah rushing into accusations without solid evidence won't help anyone. We have to make sure we get the real culprit."

Emma added in
"Michael's right. We owe it to Kayla and Jessica to find the real truth even if it takes time."

Joshua: "I agree. We can't afford to make mistakes. But there's something bothering me about the files guys, Matt claims he was with Kevin during the time, but it doesn't match what we have saying just Kevin was there."

Tyler: "So, are we saying the files might not be accurate? That changes things a bit."

Emma added in
"If the files aren't accurate entirely it could mean we need to look more but I still think the suspects on the file list will help us as it has been right now."

Hannah looking frustrated voiced her discomfort
"I can't believe those guys Kevin and Matt, making inappropriate jokes about me and Joshy. It's so disrespectful."

Joshua chimed in
"I know they're not serious guys at all and joke too much but that isn't our focus, we need to think about them as suspects sadly though."

The room went silent as everyone needed to decide what to do next
And they had another day of investigating people off the list tomorrow.