Chapter 28: This Changes Everything

The next morning Joshua, Emma, Tyler, and Michael gathered in the campus lobby prepared to discuss and finalize their list of three suspects for the upcoming investigation.

Joshua breaking the silence spoke with a heavy sigh
"We need to finalize our list of three suspects today so we can get to the bottom of the murders."

Emma nodded in agreement
"Agreed we have to choose carefully the wrong decision could cost us valuable time and lead the real killer to get away or hurt more people."

Tyler very focused added
"Let's review our findings from the interviews in Emma's dorm where we have a bit more privacy, we can't afford to miss any details."

As they were about to go back to Emma's dorm to further discuss the room fell silent as their attention was drawn to the TV.
Frederick the campus news anchor, appeared on the screen.his serious expression hinting at the gravity of the news he was about to deliver.

"In a shocking turn of events another tragedy has once again struck our campus last night" Frederick announced his voice somber.
"Gretchen Williams a student who has been with the college since last year and a part of a college grounds upkeep program has been found dead on the baseball field, she suffered multiple stab wounds and a bag was discovered over her head many thinking it could be linked to other murders at the campus over the last year, local police are looking for the killer at large."

The room tensed as the group absorbed the horrifying information they just saw.
The realization that their investigation had yet another dark turn, Gretchen Williams whom Michael had interviewed was now dead and appeared to have gone out exactly like Kayla, Jessica and the Informant.

Frederick continued reporting the details of the crime
emphasizing the impact it had on the campus community as students were now advised not to leave their dorm alone after dark.
The group exchanged glances the shock evident in their eyes and the urgency to solve the case heightened.

As the news segment concluded the room remained in a heavy silence.
The group knew that time was of the essence and the pressure to identify the killer intensified.

The campus was reeling from yet another devastating loss.

Back in Emma's dorm the group was visibly shaken by the news of Gretchen's murder. The atmosphere was heavy as they contemplated the grim reality that the killer seemed to be deviating from any discernible pattern outside of how the victims were killed.

Tyler broke the uneasy silence
"This changes everything the murders were following a date pattern before outside of the Informant but now it seems like the killer is either in a panic or is too comfortable we can't rule out the possibility that the killer is targeting people connected to our investigation."

Tyler chimed in
"I hate to say it, but we need to consider all options right now" as he was glancing at the list of potential suspects
"What if it's someone like maybe Hannah?"

Joshua defensively responded
"Hannah isn't the killer, she could've had a motive for Kayla, but she didn't do it and wouldn't have killed two more girls or the Informant, plus I was with Hannah last night when the murder happened."

Emma interjecting suggested
"I'll visit her and ask directly about it, it's the only way to be sure and I want to see if she gives any inconsistent details when asked by somebody else we need to be thorough."

As they discussed their next moves they collectively decided that Hector with his history of aggression wasn't't worth revisiting. The potential danger involved in questioning him outweighed the benefits.

Michael stating
"Hector isn't involved the murders, he's just a shady guy involved in many other crimes which will catch up to him without our help."

Jack on the other hand was still deemed worth investigating more.
"We need to find out if the police have questioned Jack further," Tyler suggested. "His proximity to Jessica's murder can't be ignored even if I feel bad about his grieving and loss we have to be sure."

The group unanimously agreed that Kevin needed to provide a more substantial alibi. "Just saying he was with Matt isn't enough," Emma emphasized "We need more details from him, Joshua you're going to have to get them both to be serious for once."

Tyler with a thoughtful expression raised another point.
"We also need to also consider that the killer might be someone we haven't even thought about someone who's been under our radar if these all fall through and are innocent."

Michael nodding in agreement.added
"We need to be cautious and strategic about these people we're about to talk to anything can happen at this point."

Emma preparing for her visit with Hannah to gather more information concluded
"Let's reconvene after we get more details and Joshua please make sure to press Kevin for a solid alibi we can't afford any loose ends or no answers."

Michael told Tyler that he should come with him to visit Jack and ask him questions as well.

Tyler nodded
"Yeah Michael that works, it's been a minute since we've done anything together."

As the group dispersed the weight of the investigation pressed upon them each step forward bringing them closer to unraveling the murders shrouding their campus.

Emma determined to uncover the truth.made her way to Hannah's dorm.
She thought to herself I have to know if Hannah knew anything at all about Kayla's murder she might be hiding from us, or if she would have any motive to commit all these murders.
The situation weighed on her as she approached the door. With each step the suspense intensified.

Reaching Hannah's door Emma knocked the sound echoing in the hallway and Emma's gaze remained fixed on the door.