Chapter 30: What Matters Most

Two Years Prior

The stadium buzzed with excitement as the Crestwood team faced off against their rivals the Ridgeland Roosters.
Joshua in the midst of one of his best games ever batting a great 700. felt the adrenaline pumping through his veins. The stands were filled with friends cheering him on.

In the crowd Tyler, Michael, Emma, Hannah, and Kayla gathered to support Joshua. Tyler eager to share his latest tech excitement spoke to Emma
"I just got this new computer setup It's going to help me learn some coding and maybe even a few hacks I'm so excited about it, My older cousin just gave me it as a gift "

Emma intrigued by Tyler's technological prowess replied
"That's really cool Tyler. You're always into something interesting."

Meanwhile Michael ever the interrupter
chimed in as Joshua hit a massive home run with the bases loaded a grand slam!
"Joshua! Let's go! Beat those cocks!'

Kayla amidst the cheers shouted proudly, "That's my babe!" She clapped.

As Joshua rounded the bases pointing up to Kayla with a grin the group shared a collective sense of pride in Joshua.
Hannah joining in the celebration with a clap turned to Kayla with a question
"So I'm wondering are you and Joshua still happy together?"

Michael observing this question was shocked but didn't get involved.

Kayla laughed
"Obviously. Why would you ask such a silly question me and Joshua are unbreakable?"

Hannah in her typical straightforward manner shrugged
"I don't know I just wonder sometimes if you're meant to be together you know, not to be a bitch because you're like my best friend, I just want what's best for you."

Kayla response was just
"I appreciate your concern but trust me if we weren't doing good I would be the first to know."

Joshua returned to the bench sitting next to teammates Kevin and Matt.
Kevin spoke enthusiastically "Bro that was insane! If we win our game tomorrow night, we're headed to the playoffs baby!"

Joshua agreed
"Hell yeah i know you guys can make it while me and Kayla are at her aunt's wedding."

Matt surprised, asked
"You're not playing tomorrow? But you're our big hitter broski!"

Joshua grateful for the compliment had to reject
"I know I've hit a lot of home runs this year but Kevin over there has a great swing. You guys can win without me. Besides, I can't miss my girl's family moments you know? This is my dream but my girl has to come first."

Kevin looking annoyed chimed in
"It's her aunts wedding bro going to some wedding isn't gonna get you laid more. We need you to win this game it's important to all of us."

Joshua laughed
"It's not always about getting laid guys, I love Kayla, and I need to support her life like she does mine."

Matt just laughed
"It sounds to me like Joshy might be a bit gay boys!"

The teams bench laughing over this comment.

Kevin then adding
"Yeah bro not wanting to get laid and caring more about a chicks wedding than sports? Sounds pretty gay to me!"

Joshua told them that one day they would mature and understand once they find a girl they care about.
Kevin just laughed saying
"As if bro I'm gonna be rich and sleeping with a different girl every night once I'm in the pros, you can enjoy fucking the same pussy every night until you die, but not me."

Cut to the game ending in a blowout win 13-4 with Joshua's Crestwood team winning after Joshua got them 7 points by himself.
Kayla kisses Joshua
"That was great babe, I love seeing you out there with your passion."

Joshua thanked her and all his friends
"Everyone thanks so much for the support you're all a big reason why I'm in this spot, I wouldn't be able to do all this without you all."

Joshua's dad from the crowd drinking more booze per usual goes up to Joshua.
"Good job this is why I paid for you to come here and play you looked like a champion out there."

Joshua finally hearing support from his dad
"Thanks dad, that means a lot coming from you."

His dad then chimes in
"So, tomorrow night once you do another big game to make the playoffs I think you might actually make it to the big league after all."

Joshua then tells him
"About that," and explains how he's going to miss the game to be at Kayla's aunt's wedding instead causing him to miss the game.

Joshua's dad mad over this.
"You just love disappointing any joy I find in you huh?" Slamming down his empty can and walks off.

Michael tells Joshua
"Don't listen to your old man, you will go pro without that game, and we all know it, he's just a bitter old drunk."

Joshua thanked Michael for the words of support.

Later that night.
Joshua and Kayla found themselves on the campus rooftop the city lights below creating a mesmerizing backdrop.

Kayla looking at Joshua with a mixture of gratitude and concern reassured him that it was okay if he didn't come to the wedding acknowledging the importance of the game the next day.
"Joshua I know that game tomorrow is very important to you, are you sure you really want to go to my aunt's wedding with me, it's totally okay if you don't want to miss your game."

Joshua looking into Kayla's eyes insisted that he wanted to be a part of her family's life
"Yes Kayla I'm sure, attending this wedding meant a lot to me too, I want to be a part of your family, I can miss one game, I know my team can win without me."
He appreciated her concern for his commitments.

Kayla touched by his sincerity
"I truly appreciate you coming but I want to make sure you know you still have time to change your mind.
She didn't want him to feel pressured.

Joshua wrapping his arm around her smiled and told her that he had no intention of changing his mind.
Expressing that she meant more to him than anything else including the crucial game.
The connection they shared was more valuable than any victory on the baseball field.