Chapter 5: Mystery Decision

The Day unfolded with the group of friends deciding they should investigate further into Edward to see if he had any connection to the murders.

The group had decided to send Tyler and Michael into Edwards dorm area to break in and investigate and see if he is hiding anything.
Tyler using his computer smarts got past his security code on his door and got inside and Michael followed him in chimming in "You know I want to find the murderer like everyone else but I kind of hope it isn't somebody at our own campus like Edwards you know what I mean?"
Tyler nodded and agreed "I know what you mean but if there's a chance we can save this from happening to anyone else and get justice we have to do this"

A hour or so passed as they searched Edwards entire dorm not finding anything that would indicate a murder his laptop simply had emails of notes and party plans with Jessica and Kayla and he had posts on social media from the time Jessica was murdered. He was likely and most definitely innocent.
Tyler called Emma and told her the news.

The revelation that Jessica and Kayla had no apparent connection except knowing Edward left the friends puzzled. Emma, the skeptic of the group, suggested revisiting Edward's alibi from the posts to ensure its validity

Emma sat sighing as she hung up the phone "Tyler and Michael couldn't get any leads."

Joshua, still grappling with emotions from the previous day's clash, spoke up, "We need to be thorough in this. If Edward is innocent, we can't afford to have any doubts lingering. It's our best lead at the moment, he could be hiding something for all we know."

Emma interrupted
"We can't just pin this on Edward because he's our first lead, I don't think he's done anything if Tyler tells me he's innocent I believe him."

Hannah and Emma then found themselves locked in a heated argument.
Hannah yelled "are you questioning Joshua right now maybe I think Edward is guilty too he's always been a bit of a weirdo to me, just because You like Tyler doesn't mean he's as smart as you think he is"

Emma laughed
"Yeah that wouldn't be the first person to act smarter than they are"

Hannah replied with
"Oh you wanna be fucking funny with me, I'm smarter than you are and have a better gpa, and it's not my fault Kayla liked me better and now you need to be the hero to make yourself feel better bitch!"

Emma then turned to pointing out Hannah being unsupportive and selfish in the investigation and only caring about her own relationship with Joshua and it struck a nerve as Hannah slapped Emma across the face having to be pulled off by Joshua. The room fell silent as the weight of the altercation lingered in the air.

Hannah trying to catch her breath while Joshua held her spoke with a mixture of anger and hurt, "You have no idea what I've been through. Kayla was my best friend, and I'm dealing with this in my own way. You calling me selfish is just cruel and you don't know anything you're talking about"

Emma, nursing the sting on her cheek, retorted, "This is about justice for Kayla and Jessica. We need to put our emotions aside and focus on finding the truth. If you can't handle that, maybe you should step back and not be involved again since you're good at that"

The friends engaged in a heated dialogue, and their exchange echoed through the walls of the Campus. The slow build of tension reflected the strains on their friendships as they navigated the complexities of grief and investigation. Despite their shared goal, personal emotions threatened to fracture the group.

Meanwhile, Michael received an unexpected call from an unknown number. A mysterious voice of a man claimed knowledge of Jessica's murder and urged him and Tyler to meet behind the campus after dark, alone without telling Joshua or the girls. The cryptic nature of the call added a layer of complexity to their already intricate investigation.

Michael, conflicted by the secrecy demanded by the caller faced a pivotal decision. He debated whether to involve the others or heed the mysterious voice's instructions. The slow build of tension within him mirrored the dilemma faced by the entire group. His internal struggle intensified as he contemplated the potential risks and rewards of keeping the information to himself.

He looked at Tyler and told him about the call and the demands the caller had made.

Tyler simply spoke up
"No we're all in this together we can't not tell the others especially Joshua he will kill us if we did any clues without him"

Michael responded though saying that it might help and if it did the evidence they get would outweigh the secret to get it.

The group Remet up in the evening, bringing with them bits of information they knew so far the air crackled with a mix of anticipation and apprehension.

Tyler and Michael looked at each other knowing they had to make a decision soon as it was nearly dark.

Tyler the level-headed one presented his findings. "Edward was in the campus with friends gaming that day and was shared on social media and before that was in the library and at Jessica's room only shortly."

The friends kept discussing what to do next with no leads as Joshua and Emma and Michael talked. Tyler, usually the voice of reason, found himself torn between secrecy and transparency wanting to tell them but knowing it was Michaels decision.
Hannah meanwhile stayed quiet the whole time clinging to Joshua's arm.

As the night fell, casting shadows over Crestwood University, Michael and Tyler faced a critical juncture. The slow build of suspense hinted at the challenges that lay ahead. they debated whether to reveal the mysterious call to the others or embark on the dangerous path of meeting the informant alone. The choices made in the next steps would shape the course of their investigation and the bonds that held them together.