Chapter 33: Code Blue

The hospital waiting room offered little comfort as Emma sat on a stiff plastic chair, her mind a  whirlwind of worry and frustration. The relentless ticking of the wall clock echoed her impatience each second feeling like an eternity as she worried for Tyler's well-being.

She couldn't shake the anger that boiled within her.
Anger at Matt for doing such a horrid thing and putting Tyler in this awful situation. Every thought of him fueled the rage that bubbled just beneath the surface threatening to burst forth.
Emma clenched her fists, her nails digging into her palms as if physical pain could distract from the emotional turmoil.

Yet beneath the anger a torrent of sadness swept over her. Tyler the guy she loved for years but hadn't told until now, he lay wounded with the threat of death looming and she couldn't shake the overwhelming sorrow that engulfed her. Her eyes welled up with tears but she blinked them away refusing to succumb to the vulnerability that threatened to consume her during this moment, Tyler needed someone strong right now.

The hospital's cold fluorescent lights seemed to cast a shadow on her hopes. Emma's mind raced toggling between the anger she felt towards Matt, the sadness over Tyler's situation, and the growing concern for the safety of Joshua, Michael and even Hannah in their pursuit of Kevin and Matt.

What if Joshua encountered the same violent outburst that Tyler faced and didn't have the help there Tyler had. The very thought sent shivers down her spine intensifying her feelings of helplessness.

As minutes stretched into an agonizing stretch of uncertainty Emma replayed the events leading up to this moment in her mind on repeat like a broken television.

Emma's restless gaze darted around the waiting room, she wished for news for a sign that Tyler was receiving the urgent care he needed and would be okay. The hospital staff seemed to move in slow motion each passing minute increasing her anxiety.

A nurse entered the waiting room and Emma's heart skipped a beat.
She rushed towards the nurse desperate for any update on Tyler's condition.
The nurse with a kind yet somber expression informed her that Tyler was undergoing surgery for his wound and they were doing everything they could.
"We're doing everything we can right now to ensure your friend makes a steady recovery, I assure you we'll let you know as soon as any updates are available."

As Emma returned to her seat a mixture of emotions surged within her.

Simultaneously Hannah and Michael keep searching the stadium with bats in hand. Each step they made echoed in the emptiness the weight of uncertainty pressing upon them.

As they circled the stadium the silence between them became an unspoken understanding.

Hannah burdened by the guilt of her actions finally broke the silence.
"Michael I need to say something I'm sorry for everything, for causing so much trouble, i never meant for anything to hurt the relationships of our group."

Michael sighed in the cold air
"Hannah i get it we've all made mistakes i should've been more fair about your relationship with Joshua from the start but I'm Joshua's best friend I care for him like a brother even when we fight or anything that happens, and he was at a vulnerable part of his life when everything happened and it's just that.."

He paused realizing the futility of apologies in the face of their current predicament.
"Right now it's not about apologies, it's not the time, we need to focus on finding Joshua. We can talk about all this later."

Hannah nodded appreciating Michael's apology.

as they headed behind the stadium to further search

Hannah found herself expressing remorse for her actions and the rift it had created again.
"I never wanted to come between your friendship either just so you know i'm sorry for moving as fast as I did on Joshua after Kayla died, I had just liked him for so long and I wanted what i wanted but now that it has been so long with him i promise you i genuinely care about him and want the best for him even if it's not with me."

Michael was shocked by the sudden maturity shown from Hannah, acknowledged her words.
"I'm glad you see the bigger picture Hannah, it was just hard for me to see him bottling his emotions so long after Kayla passed. But right now we need to put all that aside and find him, I can't imagine something happening to him."

Meanwhile a rage filled Joshua was chasing down Kevin determined to make him pay.
"You can't outrun me forever, I've always been the better runner!"

Kevin shouted back mocking
"Why can't you fuck off Joshua! You always have to ruin everything! You're the reason we missed the playoffs 2 years ago, you're the reason I can't go pro! You're the reason for everything! I got rid of that bitch Kayla! You could you have focused back on our team after her death?! No you go and get with another bitch that's even more annoying than anyone could imagine! But I admit she has great tits and assists! For a little bitch like you" Kevin laughed as he ran

Joshua anger filled and speeding towards Kevin.
"I fucking loved Kayla she was my love of my life and you took her from me over a fucking sport! As if I'm the reason you can't fill my shoes! I'm going to grab you and beat you until you can't walk! and you and Matt can rot the rest of your lives In Prison being fuck buddies!

Kevin laughed and taunted Joshua more and more as Joshua chased him down Kevin looking down checked his phone knowing Matt was free and on his way now as he continued to run and communicated their location as he ran in a circle like maze to trap Joshua.

"Well Joshy" Kevin said mockingly
"You can chase me all you want I'm leading you to where I want because this is my game and you don't get to win, Matt already took care of that geek Tyler you talk to."

This reveal of Matt's getting freed and harming Tyler had Joshua horrified and made him stop chasing Kevin realizing the dire situation.

Joshua turning ghostly white hearing this.
His mind raced
Did Matt escape and kill Tyler.
Joshua blaming himself had a thousand thoughts.

Kevin cherishing in his manipulation of Joshua emotions smiled an evil grin.

And matt delivered a blow to Joshua in the back of his head causing him to fall unconscious.

As Kevin said
"My bro, I thought you'd never come!"

Matt stared down at an unconscious Joshua and smiled ready for revenge.