Chapter 25: Simple Beginnings

Seven years ago.
under the glaring stadium lights the high school baseball team had their game unfold.
The atmosphere buzzed with anticipation as the team's fate rested on Joshua's shoulders in the 9th inning, He stepped up to the plate gripping the bat tightly his eyes focused on the pitcher. The crowd held its breath and his teammates cheered him on.
"Joshua! Joshua! Joshua!"

His coach also yelling in
"You have this Jacobs knock it out and we win!"

The pitcher winded up and the ball hurtled toward Joshua. With a swift well practiced swing he aimed for a triumphant hit. However fate had different plans.
The crack of the bat echoed through the stadium but it was accompanied by the unmistakable sound of a baseball meeting leather. Joshua watched in dismay as the ball sailed into the catcher's mitt.

He stood frozen for a moment the weight of the missed opportunity settling in. The disappointment was evident. The opposing team celebrated while Joshua trudged back to the dugout the weight of the game's outcome heavy on his shoulders.
His teammates assured him they would win it all next year.

After the game Joshua found himself in the passenger seat of his father's car the scent of alcohol lingering in the air per usual,
His dad swaying slightly didn't waste time in expressing his displeasure.

"You're never gonna make it to college ball let alone the pros if you keep playing like that" his dad slurred taking a swig from a concealed bottle as he stopped at a red light.

Joshua gazing out the window sighed.
"I can't win every game Dad i tried my best out there."

"That's losers talk you should've won this time not think about next time it's a waste of my money buying you baseball team is what it is, you love wasting my money." his dad retorted the words stinging more than the alcohol on his breath.

Back at home Joshua retreated to his room the disappointment from the game compounded by his father's harsh words. Seeking solace he opened his laptop and engaged in a direct message conversation with his bestfriend Michael.

**Joshua:** Hey man tonight sucked dad's on my case again per usual and I couldn't help the team win.

**Michael:** Sorry to hear that Joshua. You gave it your all out there tho I watched, what happened with your dad?

**Joshua:** just his usual drinking all day and he's convinced I'm wasting his money on baseball gear and won't go anywhere with it.

**Michael:** Hey man forget what he says. You're talented and won many games before one game doesn't define you.

As Michael tried to lift Joshua's spirits he shared another message to him that would cheer him up.

**Michael:** By the way there's this girl you like named Kayla I talked to her some and she's been asking about you and wanting to meet, maybe she's the distraction you need?

Joshua's mood lifted slightly at the mention of Kayla.

**Joshua:** Kayla? Seriously? When does she want to meet?

**Michael:** well about an hour from now at the local mall she'll be there, You should totally show up trust me it'll be good for you.

Encouraged by Michael's words and finally getting to talk to Kayla Joshua's spirits soared. He quickly replied to Michael.

**Joshua:** Absolutely! I'll be there. Thanks for letting me know man You're the best.

As Joshua eagerly prepared for his meeting with Kayla the disappointment from the baseball game and his father's harsh words began to fade for now.

An hour later.
Joshua arrived at the local mall his anticipation mixed with a hint of anxiety. As he walked through the bustling corridors he spotted Kayla with her mom in the electronic section on her phone while her mom was engrossed in a conversation about laptops with a store employee.

Summoning his courage Joshua approached Kayla
"Hey you know Michael, right?"

Kayla looked up a spark of recognition in her eyes.
"Yeah, I know Michael he's a really nice guy are you two friends?"

Joshua nodded.
"Yeah Michael's my best friend."

Kayla with a smile on her face.
"Oh, you're Joshua! We talked about you a lot. You're the big baseball star he always mentions."

Feeling a bit shy Joshua modestly agreed.
"I play baseball but I don't know about being a big star quite yet."

The conversation flowed between them and as they chatted.
Kayla's mom took notice of Joshua's presence. Sensing the connection Kayla decided to take the lead.

"Hey Mom Joshua and I were thinking of grabbing a pretzel from the mall and talking for a bit is that okay?"

Her mom engaged in a discussion about laptops still, smiled and agreed.
"Sure sweetheart you two go ahead i'll catch up with you later."

Joshua and Kayla walked together towards the pretzel stand. The scent of freshly baked dough wafted through the air as they found a quiet corner to chat.

"So Michael talks highly of you" Kayla said with a grin, breaking the ice.

Joshua chuckled nervously.
"Yeah we've been friends for a long time. What did he say about me?"

"He mentioned your love for baseball and how passionate you are about it and how gentle of a person you are." Kayla complimented.

Joshua appreciated the compliment. "Well I do enjoy playing It's something I've been doing for a long time and want to do professionally."

As their conversation continued Kayla's warm smile and Joshua's genuine laughter created a connection that felt natural.
Enjoying the moment Kayla decided to take a step forward.

"You know i really like talking to you Joshua, Here's my number" she said, handing him a piece of paper with a playful smile.

Joshua pleasantly surprised took the paper.
"I really like talking to you too Kayla, thank you" he replied his excitement building.

As they parted ways Joshua walked home with a newfound sense of joy.
Thoughts of the disappointing baseball game and his father's harsh words faded into the background as he envisioned the potential for a genuine connection with Kayla.

However reality hit hard when he arrived home. The familiar scent of alcohol lingered in the air and his dad's disapproval awaited him.

"Where the hell were you? It's too late to be out doing stupid shit that jeopardizes your future I pay for." his dad bellowed his voice filled with anger.

Ignoring the confrontation Joshua continued to his room clutching Kayla's number like it was a winning a lottery ticket.
But his father wasn't finished.
a beer can flew through the air narrowly missing Joshua.

His dad scoffing
"I guess not being able to hit the target runs in the family."

Upstairs Joshua closed the door to his room blocking out the chaos below. The glow of his laptop illuminated his face as he eagerly typed a message to Michael sharing the highs and lows of his evening.

**Joshua:** Hey, man! I met Kayla, and she's awesome. We talked for hours and she even gave me her number. Things at home are not so great still, I can't wait until I can leave for college, But tonight this connection with Kayla was amazing, it means a lot that you did this for me.

Michael replied with words of encouragement and understanding offering Joshua a virtual refuge for the night.