Chapter 13: Whispers On Campus

The next day dawns casting a weary light on Joshua's strained surroundings in his old room.
He leaves his parents house his father's parting words echoing in his ears.

His father on the couch day drinking tells him "Don't further be a fuck-up Joshua I've had enough of your nonsense and wasting my hard work and money I done for your ungrateful ass go to school and focus on grades and baseball not trying to be batman understand."

Joshua bites his tongue holding back words that might worsen the situation and quietly exits. Alone in his car he decides to reach out to Michael seeking a way to unravel the mystery and salvage whatever remains of their pursuit of justice.

In the car Joshua dials Michael's number and the familiar voice answers on the other end.

Michael: "Hey, Josh. What's up? How are you holding up yesterday was crazy, me and Tyler were talking about finding Randy to ask him some answers and to try and make him not as mad at you hopefully.

Joshua with a heavy sigh responds
"Not great man We need to do something about that actually and it's why I called you, Can you and the others find Randy and talk to him? We need answers and maybe he can shed some light on who's behind all of this like who told him to run."

Michael understanding the gravity of the situation replies
"Sure Joshua We'll find him and see what he knows. But you need to be careful. We're all in this together You don't need to be trying to put all of it on yourself I know you loved Kayla a lot and we all did you don't have to put it all onto yourself I know you blame alot of this on you not being there the night she died but please don't self destrct she wouldn't want that and I think you need to relook into what you're doing with Hannah I been your friend a long time, and we known Hannah a long time too but I don't think she's good for you I know we almost fought when I brought up you two dating too soon after what happened but you need to"

He was cut off by Joshua
"Look I know you worry but trust me when I say my relationship is good she was there for me in my darkest times and is my biggest supporter, just focus on finding Randy for me please."

Michael understanding Joshua's plea assures him
"Alright we'll focus on finding Randy I'll call Tyler and we'll head over there quickly. Just hang in there please."

As the call ends Michael dials Tyler's number. After a few rings Tyler answers and Michael briefs him on the situation.

He speaks
"Hey Tyler Joshua wants us to find Randy and talk to him too and We need answers so maybe he can help us understand what's going on Can you come over We'll meet up and go find him together."

Tyler, with a hint of concern in his voice replies "Sure thing Michael Just give me about 10 minutes Emma and I are watching the last bit of a movie I'll be over right after."

Michael acknowledges
"No rush Tyler We'll wait for you It's important that we approach this carefully and having Emma come along will help also she always is good at defusing people."

After the call Tyler explains the situation to Emma, and they quickly wrap up the movie and head over to meet Michael in his dorm.

Once they convene Michael, Tyler, and now Emma form a determined trio ready to seek answers from Randy. They decide to check the places Randy might frequent. After some inquiries they discover he's often found in Mrs. Whittaker's library just like Edward was.

As they approach the library tension builds. The door creaks open revealing a startled Randy, who instinctively takes a step back fear in his eyes He contemplates fleeing but Emma with a calm demeanor, intervenes.

She speaks
Randy hold on We're not here to harm you We just want to talk peacefully. Joshua and Hannah aren't with us."

Randy visibly shaken mutters
"You people are animals especially that crazy person Joshua attacking me and that girl of his calling me a killer without any proof of such thing!"

Michael steps forward apologizing, Look we're sorry for what happened Joshua's in a bad spot right now, and we're trying to figure things out. Can we just ask you a few questions? It might help us understand what's going on and we're trying to find out what happened to Jessica and Kayla last year when they both died and now another person died recently at a warehouse close to here.

Randy still on edge eyes the trio warily but cautiously nod  realizing that running might not be the best option.

Tyler reassures him "We're not here to accuse you Randy We're just looking for answers Can you tell us who asked you to run and why?"

Emma, empathetic, adds "We understand you're scared Randy We want to uncover the truth and stop this before anyone else gets hurt Do you have any information that might help us?"

Randy, after a moment of hesitation, reveals, "There's this guy at the university Hector. He's the one who told me to run. Gave me some money for it said it's for my best interest to listen and take it. I didn't ask questions and I needed the cash.

Emma notes
"Hector might have more information. We need to find him Randy, do you know anything about his motives or why he's involved in all this?"

Randy shakes his head "No idea. He just told me to run and get the attention of police and specifically the attention of you guys but I didn't think Joshua was a psychopath or I might've declined the offer.

Michael determined says
"We appreciate your honesty Randy.
We'll handle things from here.Just stay low and if you remember anything else let us know please."
As he gives him his number

The trio leaves the library contemplating their next move The revelation about Hector adds a new layer to the mystery and they realize that the key to uncovering the truth might lie with him. As they embark on the journey to find Hector the stakes are higher than ever and the shadows of the past cast a foreboding presence over their quest for justice.