Chapter 14: Highly Suspicious

That evening Michael, Emma and Tyler embark on the mission to find Hector the guy who seems to have a hand in the recent turmoil during the baseball game. They ask people around campus and get leads which eventually find his current location by the campus.

In the dim glow of the streetlights by the campus they finally come across Hector the tall and husky man, His demeanor is as suspicious as his reputation and the trio approaches cautiously.

Emma takes the lead questioning Hector about his involvement with Randy and the recent events.
"Hey can we ask why you paid a guy to run during the break in during the baseball game?"

Hector however proves to be confrontational and rude deflecting their inquiries with a smug attitude.
"I don't have to answer anything some washed soccer player and two geeks ask me now go away"

Tyler steps in
"Hey we just know that somebody said you were up to some very suspicious activity and need you to prove your innocence or give us some information."

Hector just laughed in his face
"Look computer boy go back to your classes and keep your nose out of other people's business you're not the police and I don't have to answer anything to you, if you're looking for somebody who might've killed Jessica you should ask that guy Edward who hangs out in the library he was with her before she died."

This revelation that they already knew and talked to Edward once. Only threw a curveball into their investigation shifting the focus onto Edward as a potential suspect again seems like they are just lost in a circle. Suspicion clouds the air as Hector attempts to pin the blame on someone they once considered no longer guilty and was busy during the time of murder.

Meanwhile in a starkly different setting Joshua finds himself at baseball practice with his teammates Kevin and Matt. The news of his altercation with Randy has spread around the school and to his surprise rather than condemnation he is met with admiration from his teammates.

Kevin and Matt fueled by the adrenaline of the story express their approval considering Joshua a badass for tackling Randy like he did and being a hardened criminal.

Kevin shouts
"Dude somebody recorded the whole thing and the way you beat that geeks face was hilarious and epic"

Matt adds in
"Yeah bro it was epic everyone is gonna be wanting to come to our games now to see Mr. Fists himself haha"

However Joshua burdened by the weight of the recent events dismisses their praise admitting it was a regrettable act of impulsivity.
"It was nothing proud guys, I thought he was something bad, I'm still not sure rather it was the right or wrong thing to do and I risked a lot doing it and don't think anyone should approve of it."

His teammates Kevin and Matt completely misunderstanding the gravity of the situation mockingly encourage him to "man up" and brush off the incident if it's that deep to him because they have other things to focus on besides his panties being twisted over some fighting.

That Night Michael, Emma and Tyler find themselves caught in a web of confusion after Hector's dismissive response and refusing to work with them but a lingering suspicion surrounds the information Hector dropped about Edward's connection to Jessica before her death and how Hector knew him.

Emma expresses her concern
"What if Hector's trying to divert our attention? We can't just ignore what he said about Edward though and we need to reevaluate our approach."

Michael nods in agreement
"You're right Emma Let's not jump to any conclusions like some people would, We need to talk to Edward again get his side of the story and see if there's any merit to what Hector claimed and how they know each other."

Meanwhile back at baseball practice Joshua further deals with the consequences of his impulsive actions. The praise from Kevin and Matt contrasts sharply with Joshua's internal turmoil.

As practice continues
Kevin nudges Joshua "Come on man don't be so serious and such a little pussy You showed Randy who's boss just own it!"

Matt adds "Seriously Joshua you're like our school's action hero now just embrace it and quit being such a baby over beating up some nerd"

Despite their attempts to "lighten the mood" Joshua can't shake the weight of uncertainty and guilt as he hits balls with his ball in the pin.

As Joshua is leaving practice Hannah shows up with a black coffee from Starbucks handing him it asking if his hand feels okay after beating up that creep Randy.

Joshua Responded
"Thanks, I'm fine but we can't just judge Randy yet I know yesterday I let my anger win and I did something I shouldn't have and I assumed he was the murderer, I wanted him to be so we could end all of this and have peace but I can't blame anyone without knowing their guilty.

Hannah scoffs
"Well he's not more important than you anyways, you're going places in life and you didn't deserve to be locked up and interrogated like that and neither did I, and I still think Randy is the murderer why else would he be running.

Just as Joshua and Hannah engage in their discussion Tyler, Michael and Emma arrive ready to share the information they gathered from Randy and Hector.

Michael starts "We talked to Randy, and he mentioned a guy named Hector. He claims Hector told him to run but he doesn't know why besides the fact he paid him to."

Emma adds "Hector was uncooperative rude and didn't help with any info on the involvement in Jessica's death. He suggested we question Edward saying he was with Jessica before she died."

Joshua trying to make sense of the information says
"Randy's scared and confused, and that guy Hector I seen before and he seems suspicious. We can't take his words at face value."

Hannah crossing her arms interjects
"Randy's probably just lying to save himself. His face screams guilty he probably is buddies with Hector I say we just arrest both of them."

Emma defending her stance counters
"We can't assume guilt without evidence. Everyone deserves a fair chance, and we need to investigate thoroughly."

Hannah Scoffs and sighs
"Yeah it's easy for you she wasn't your best friend like she was mine and those murderers are free and on the run!"

As tension escalates between Emma and Hannah their disagreement intensifies reaching a boiling point. Voices rise and the heated exchange threatens to turn physical.

Suddenly Tyler steps in grabbing Emma's arm gently but firmly
"Emma please let's step back for a moment."

At the same time Joshua intervenes with Hannah
"Hannah let's cool down for a bit. These are our friends and they want to solve this as much as we do"

The two are pulled apart reluctantly breaking away from the confrontation.
Michael sensing the need to diffuse the situation suggests
"Alright everyone It's getting late and emotions are running high Maybe we should go back to our dorms get some rest, and approach this with a fresh mind tomorrow."

Tyler nods in agreement "He's right We're all tired and arguing won't solve anything now."

Emma and Hannah still exchanging glares reluctantly agree. The group disperses each member carrying the weight of the unresolved tension.
The mysteries surrounding Jessica and Kayla's and the informants deaths, Randy's involvement, and Hector's claims of it being Edward cast a shadow over their pursuit of justice. As they retreat to their respective dorms the promise of a new day brings both hope and uncertainty.