Twenty-Seven

Meredith's POV

Meredith's POV

Pain comes in all forms. The small tinge. A bit of soreness. The random pain. The normal pains we live with everyday. Then there's the kind of pain you can't ignore. A level of pain so great that it blocks out anything else. Makes the rest of the world fade away. Until all we can think about is how much we hurt. How we manage our pain is up to us. Pain. We anaesthetize, ride it out, embrace it, ignore it. And for some of us the best way to manage pain is to just push through it. Dr. Bailey and the interns assigned to her are getting ready in the locker room when Cristina enters. Cristina puts her coat away, her hair dripping wet from the rain when Clarissa hands her a towel.

"You're dripping." Dr. Bailey tells Cristina while Clarissa's retying her shoes to make sure they don't come undone during the day.

"I'm back. I just want make that clear. I'm back. I'm ready to work. I'm good. I'm ready to scrub in. I'm 100% on top of my game." Cristina tells Dr. Bailey before we all leave the locker room and start walking towards our first patient.

"You just got discharged. Pace your self." Dr. Bailey tells Cristina as we continue walking. We entered a room where a man was obviously watching porn on the television while his wife's knitting on the chair next to him.

"Dr. Bailey. Henry Lamott. Aged forty-two. Is scheduled with Dr. Shepard for a spinal implant..." Cristina starts to say when Henry turns up the volume of the television and we can hear moans coming from the television. Clarissa blushes next to me while looking down at her feet and I wrapped an arm around her.

"...to control the pain of his herniated disc. He's allergic to all pain medication..." Cristina starts to say before looking up at the screen.

"Dr. Bailey, may I be excused for now?" Clarissa asks Dr. Bailey, who sees her discomfort and nods. Clarissa runs out of the room and Dr. Bailey gives me a sympathetic look while Izzie laughs, causing me to hit her in the stomach.

"Is that...?"

"Porn." His wife Marie says, not looking at us and I can tell that this isn't nothing new for her.

"Alright. What are we watching?" Alex asks with a smirk.

"Karev! Go stand in the hall." Dr. Bailey says, but I knew she really wanted him to make sure that Clarissa's okay. Alex nods catching her double meaning and heads outside.

"Uh Mr. & Mrs. Lamott I'm sure ... you're really ... nice people ... and what you do in the privacy of your own ... Look we can't have porn in here. This is a hospital." Dr. Bailey explains to the couple.

"It's for my pain. My doc says it releases endorphins in the brain. It help keeps my pain at a manageable level." Henry explains to us.

"Dr. Bailey we can talk to Dr. Crowe and if she believes it's really a way for Mr. Lamott to manage we can get a laptop so it's not affecting the other patients."