Twenty-Eight

Clarissa's POV

Clarissa's POV

"Alex, are you okay? Annabelle said you have not been yourself lately."

"Who's Annabelle?" Pete asks us.

"My girlfriend. She owns Belle's Bakery. Clarissa, I didn't pass the boards and if I don't pass it again I won't be able to practice medicine. I've been studying every chance I've had and that must be what Annabelle was worried about."  Alex tells us.

"Alex, why did you not tell me? I would have helped you."

"I was worried that you'd see me as a failure. I couldn't lose my little sister because it'd hurt me if that happens." Alex tells me.

"You will never lose me Alex. When we are done, I will help you study. You are not going through this alone anymore." Suddenly the elevator blacks out and stops all together before the emergency lights come on. It still was pretty dark and it reminded me of when my kindergarten teacher locked me in the cupboard because I wet myself. Let's just say that Mommy and I have never seen Ellis that angry before. My breathing starts to become shallow and I couldn't help but scratch my arms. Alex goes to the elevator doors and tries to open them with his hands while I read the emergency sign.

"If elevator should stop do not become alarmed. Press the button marked alarm to summon the assistance." I say in a shaky breath before pushing the button repeatedly, but it doesn't work. Pete begins to moan in pain and the two of us go check on him.

"You are with Alex. You are with Alex." I muttered quietly before checking Pete's BP monitor while Alex checks his pulse.

"His pressure is falling. Alex there is a lot more asbestosis in the pleura back. We need to get him to the O.R."

"Okay you're whispering. Don't whisper. I mean I don't want to complain here ... but I got a bullet in my chest and whispering isn't a sign I'm going to be A-OK, you know?" Pete tells us and I check my cellphone to see if there's a signal, but there's not.

"That's bad. That's bad, right?" Pete asks us.

"Someone is going to get us out of here. I promise." Pete gives me a smile when the elevator doors open a bit and I see Dr. Bailey looking down at us.

"What, What did you Karev do?" Dr. Bailey yells, causing me to flinch at her tone.

"Nothing ma'am. Please do not yell it hurts my ears."

"Sorry Clarissa." Dr. Bailey says when Dr. Burke takes her place and looks down on us.

"How's the patient?" Dr. Burke asks us when Pete tries to get up but, Alex stops him.

"Not good sir."

"Need to get home. No. Need to get home." Pete tells us and I swallow my fear to help him.

"You are going home Pete, but I need you to stay in the bed in order to get there. Okay?" Pete nods before laying back down.

"What's his blood pressure?" Dr. Burke asks us.