Chapter 1

Note: This story was originally written between 2011-2013. I am doing minor edits as I post to help fix small things, but the quality is not as high as my current work. Keep this in mind as you read. Thanks.

********************************************************

"No, Albus. I will not do it," Severus Snape snapped at Albus Dumbledore who simply smiled at him.

"You must. You two are most important in this war and must work together," Dumbledore told him.

"Professor," sixteen-year-old Harry Potter finally spoke for the first time in nearly twenty minutes. "I get that you want us to work together and if it helps with the war, I'll do it, but Professor Snape hates me. I don't think he'll ever work with me."

"See, Severus? Harry is willing to work with you." Dumbledore smiled at his two favourite boys.

"He hates me as much as I hate him." Snape crossed his arms and glowered at the headmaster. Only Dumbledore caught the slight blush that briefly adorned Harry's cheeks.

"I'm sure you are both more than capable of putting aside old arguments, building trust, and working together to end this war," Dumbledore said and Snape raised an eyebrow skeptically while Harry hid a grin.

"I highly doubt that, Albus," Snape drawled.

"Which part?" Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling as usual.

"All of it!" Severus shouted and Harry stifled a chuckle.

"I believe it can be done. You are both very caring people. Let's see how that might be an advantage in the war," Dumbledore said and Snape glared. "Begin as soon as possible. Oh, and, Severus?" he said when the Potions Master tried to make a hasty exit. "When you teach Harry Occlumency, start by teaching him the basics. I suppose I was unclear last year. Harry has never been taught anything involving Occlumency."

Harry's eyes widened at the mention of Occlumency. He looked at Dumbledore who was smiling serenely while Snape had closed his eyes. Harry guessed the man had a terrible headache and he had reached the end of his patience.

"Albus," Snape said slowly, "you did not think to tell me this last year?"

"I am old, Severus, and the night had been hard. It slipped my mind in the urgency of Harry needing to be taught," Dumbledore told him and Snape narrowed his eyes at the headmaster.

"Explains so much," Snape muttered under his breath. "Are we dismissed, Albus?"

"Yes, that was all. It is up to you two to make this work." Dumbledore gazed at them over his glasses.

"Yes, sir." Harry nodded, not liking the way the headmaster was watching him.

"Excellent. Dismissed." Dumbledore smiled.

"Come on, Potter," Snape growled, grabbing Harry's wrist and tearing from the office.

"Um, Professor Snape?" Harry said as he was dragged through the school.

"Shut up, Potter," Snape said venomously.

"I'll shut up, sir," Harry said, unaware of the smirk on the spy's face.

"Harry?" he heard Ron and Hermione say together. He looked around and saw them step out of the library.

"Hey, guys," Harry said, still being pulled down the hallway.

"What's going on, mate?" Ron asked.

"Detention for two weeks," Harry said immediately.

"Why?" Hermione asked as she and Ron followed Harry and Snape.