Chapter 3

Note: All the raven lore is completely made up by me. If it resembles anything else from myth, legend, media, or literature, it is a coincidence.

********************************************************

"Really, guys. It's fine. I just don't feel like going to Hogsmeade. Go have fun. Go to Zonko's and Honeydukes and, I don't know, start dating," Harry said with a grin as his friends blushed deep red.

"If you're sure, Harry," Hermione said.

Harry nodded. "I'm sure. Go."

"Okay. Bye, Harry." Hermione smiled and walked away with Ron who waved.

As they disappeared through the gates, Harry wandered around the grounds aimlessly. When the large tree by the lake came into view, he headed towards it and sat down, leaning against the trunk. He stretched his left leg in front of him and bent his right, draping an arm over the knee. He gazed out at the Black Lake. As it was quickly getting colder, the Giant Squid wasn't as active so he contented himself with staring at the smooth, black water that was occasionally disturbed by a creature beneath the surface.

His thoughts drifted over topics, finally coming to settle on a mix between Snape and his mysterious package which he pulled from his pocket. He, Hermione, and Ron had done every spell they knew to determine that it was safe. Minutes passed as Harry sat staring and contemplating the package. Taking a deep breath, Harry tore off the brown wrapping and stared at the wooden box in his hand. He frowned as he examined it, discovering a small snake engraved on the lid.

He flipped the small golden latch and pulled the lid open. He gasped at the contents. Sitting on a green velvet lining lay what he and his friends had been looking for for months: Salazar Slytherin's locket.

"Oh. My. God." Harry gaped and slowly lifted the locket from the box. Round and golden, the locket had a green snake intricately etched onto the surface. As he held it, he could feel and hear a ticking, and knew it was the sound of Voldemort's soul living.

He couldn't believe they had the locket. They had been researching and searching for the thing everywhere for about five months. And now they had it. Who had known about it though? Who knew it send it to him?

As he thought, a knowing smile came over his lips. "Kingsley."

Over the summer, Harry had become close to his honorary godfather, Remus Lupin, and Kingsley Shacklebolt, the Auror. The guard, as it had been the summer before his fifth year, had returned and was more secure than the last time. Harry had not been allowed to leave the house all summer until he had been brought to the Burrow three weeks before the end of holidays. To stop Harry from completely losing his mind, the Order of the Phoenix set up a private Floo connection between Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place and Number Four, Privet Drive. It was unknown to the Ministry so it was safe. Everyday, members from the Order came to visit him throughout the day.

Harry hated that he couldn't leave Number Four, but the Order members helped. Remus helped Harry get over the death of Harry's godfather, Sirius Black. Harry quickly saw the man as the father figure Sirius had been for a short time.

Kingsley, while older than Remus, had become the older best friend or older brother. Harry knew he could tell the Auror anything. It was for this reason that he had let Kingsley in on the secret of the horcruxes. Kingsley had even agreed to help in the end.

As Harry stared at the locket, he wondered how Kingsley had found the locket. They knew it had once been in Grimmauld Place, but it had been tossed away when the house had been cleaned the summer before fifth year.

We still have to figure out how to destroy the horcruxes. Harry sighed, placing the locket back in the box. He had a feeling the way to destroy the horcruxes was something simple, but he couldn't figure it out. As his thoughts ran, he gazed at the Black Lake, jumping when a raven landed beside him.