Chapter 31

"I am sorry, m'boy," Dumbledore said and Severus scowled. The headmaster was doing a terrible job of telling the boy—no, young man—this.

"But why? Why can't I go back, but everyone else can?" Harry asked desperately.

"I'm sorry, Harry," Dumbledore repeated and Severus growled.

"Quit apologizing, Albus, and tell him why," Severus said, looking into Harry's green eyes to try and calm him.

"Severus!" McGonagall scolded.

"It's quite alright, Minerva. Severus is right," Dumbledore said serenely. "Harry, we believe Voldemort may have been behind this attack. You cannot return to the tower for your safety."

"Where will I stay then?" Harry asked, trying to hide his distress at the news.

"It has been decided that you will move into Severus' quarters," Dumbledore told him. Harry looked at his friend and received a nod that was both confirming and accepting.

"Can I still visit the tower?" Harry asked, hoping he wouldn't be completely cut off from his friends.

"Of course you can, m'boy. This is merely for you to be safe at night," Dumbledore said and Harry gave a small nod.

"Okay," he said.

"Excellent," Dumbledore said, clapping his hands together. "You can move in as soon as you are better."

Harry nodded again, but wouldn't look at the man.

"Professor, what happened to our stuff? Was it destroyed in the fire?" Dean asked and Harry's head snapped up at the question.

"It depends on if you have protection charms on your trunks," Dumbledore said.

"You mean no one's been in the tower since that night?" Harry wondered.

"That is correct." Dumbledore nodded.

"Dobby," Harry called, startling everyone with the random call. After a few seconds, Dobby popped into the Hospital Wing.

"Harry Potter, sir. How can Dobby help, sir?" the elf asked excitedly.

"Dobby, could you go to the boys' dorms in Gryffindor Tower? The dorm I'm in. Would you bring any of our items that survived the fire?" Harry requested.

"Dobby would be happy to, sir," Dobby said and disappeared with a familiar crack.

"Well, that has certainly been taken care of," Dumbledore said amused as he twinkled at Harry. It wasn't long before Dobby appeared again, this time with five trunks that looked to be in perfect condition.

"There's nothing wrong with them. They're perfectly fine," Dean said, confused.

"How is that possible?" Harry frowned.

"That would be Dobby, sir," Dobby said and they all looked at the little house elf.

"Dobby?"

"Yes, Harry Potter, sir. I puts protection on sir's trunk and does the same to sir's friends' trunks." Dobby nodded.

"Dobby, you're amazing. Thank you so much." Harry smiled at the elf.

"You's is welcome, sir," Dobby bowed and then disappeared.

"Harry, that elf is mental, but he's fantastic," Seamus said and everyone chuckled.

"He saved all of our stuff," Dean said as they stared at their trunks.

Thank you, Dobby, Harry repeated silently.

********************************************************