Chapter 16

Harry walked down the corridor and stopped at Severus' quarters. "Phoenix," he said. Salazar was asleep so the python hissed and the door swung open. He walked in and saw Severus in his usual place on the sofa closest to the fireplace. He had a book in his hand and was just reaching for his glass of wine when he spotted Harry.

"What are you doing here?" Severus asked, lowering his book.

"Hello to you too." Harry rolled his eyes. Severus just looked at him and he sighed. "Come on. Get up and get ready."

"For what, pray tell?" Severus arched an eyebrow.

"We are going to Diagon Alley, now come on," Harry said impatiently.

"Excuse me?" Severus' eyebrow rose higher.

"I still have Christmas shopping to do. I asked Dumbledore--"

"Professor Dumbledore."

"Professor Dumbledore. I asked him if I could go to Diagon Alley. He said I could as long as I have a professor with me. So, let's go," Harry told him.

"Who says I want to go?" Severus said, sipping his wine.

"Because you won't let me go with anyone else. Plus, you still have to buy gifts as well." Harry crossed his arms.

Severus sighed and waved his hand slightly. He waited a few moments before the door opened and his cloak floated in. He grinned at Severus who simply shook his head and left to get ready.

Their defence lessons had begun to include training Harry in non-verbal and wandless magic. He had already come very far even though they had only started a couple weeks earlier. Harry was ecstatic whenever he managed something new wandless or non-verbally and, though the man would never admit it, he knew Severus was proud of him.

"Hurry up," Harry said, his tone bordering that of a whiny five year old.

"I will silence you if you keep whining," Severus said from his bedroom. Harry chuckled and settled for crossing his arms, staring at the door impatiently. "Alright, let's go," he said and they left the dungeons.

"Why don't we just Floo there?" Harry asked.

"The Floo Network is being watched very closely and I don't trust you not to get lost," Severus said.

"It was one time! I'd never used the Floo before," Harry said irritably.

"Don't pout. It is not becoming on you." Severus smirked and Harry rolled his eyes. Then, in a fit of childishness, he stuck out his tongue at Severus. "Very mature, Mr. Potter."

"Oh, shut up," Harry grumbled.

Severus chuckled and Harry immediately brightened up. He loved it when his friend laughed. It made him seem younger and not at all like the haunted man he was.

"Come on, you brat," Severus said and they stopped walking, having arrived in Hogsmeade. Harry linked his arm with Severus' and readied himself for the suffocating feeling that would happen. He gripped his professor's arm tightly as he quickly ran out of air. He stumbled, gasping, and would have fallen had Severus not caught his arm.

"I hate Apparating," Harry muttered, steadying himself.

Severus rolled his eyes. "You hate all forms of travelling that do not require a broom."

Harry glared at him. "You're a git, you know that?"

"Quite well," Severus said, nodding, and Harry shook his head. "Where do you need to go?"

"I need something for Draco. I don't have a single clue what to get him," Harry said, frowning as he looked at the shops lining the street. "Do you think he'd like an animal of some kind?"