Issue #69 - Overtaker

We were back in Siren's house, with the front door missing and the living room a mess. The house was filled with a silent and oppressive tension as I awkwardly sat in my seat.

I was currently sitting at the table with Sarah's mother Lisa sitting on the opposite side, with Siren sitting inbetween the two of us.

Sophie stood behind me and to my left as if she was some sort of bodyguard, with Hikari taking the spot on my right.

Eleanor, Alexis, and Mother Wasp watched from the couch, waiting for something to happen. I tried to stay still in my seat and look as comfortable and confident as possible as I leaned back in the chair.

While inwardly it was pretty much the complete opposite.

Do I say something?

No, I'll just run my mouth and say something stupid. Or maybe that's the right move?

Lisa tapped her fingers against the table, letting out a sigh before she finally broke the awkward silence. "To think it would be you..."

She looked into my eyes. "...you're the legendary Checkmate."

"The one and only." I clapped with a grin. "Congratulations."

"To think my daughter's rival would be Miracle's clone..." She continued. "...this is confusing."

"It is what it is..." I crossed my legs, leaning my head against my hand. "...Luminosity."

"...When did you figure it out?" She sighed.

"It's pretty obvious. Siren was Miracle's mentor and adopted child. You're not only Sarah's mother, but also close to Siren." I continued.

Siren shot me a look.

"Ahem, I mean Mom." I muttered, trying to not let the heat rise to my cheeks. "Anyways, with that in mind you're likely the Champion which mentors Stellar."

"But considering how similar you two look, I'd say you're blood related." I finished. "Well?"

"You're right." Lisa nodded.

Fuck, I kinda hoped I wasn't.

"Good job, Master." Sophie lightly pat my head, Hikari joining in right after while three sharp gazes pierced my side.

...really?

Anyways, that means one of the original Champions is currently sitting across from me. Actually, now that I think about it, there's two of them in this damn room!

At least Siren doesn't want to turn me in, but Luminosity definitely wants to. It's not good that she knows what I actually am.

If the Administration hears about it, what would they do? Hunt me down? Experiment on me? Try to recreate Miracle?

Maybe I'm just too paranoid because of Stromford and Waverson, but I don't really trust large entities and companies that have anything to do with heroes like that anymore.

Luminosity continued to stare at me, before she sighed once more with downcast eyes. She looked down at the table, slowly tapping it as she contemplated something.

"...seems like it's finally happening." Luminosity stated.

"What is finally happening?" I questioned.