⏰1️⃣8️⃣⏰

21st January, 2023: Saturday

Nanon @ 7:25 PM

We have been on call daily at the same time. The first day, I did not believe he would call me, so I was out with everyone. For the past five days, I have been making sure to be in my room at this time.

As soon as the time for a call nears, I always have this knot in my stomach. And today, especially, I am very nervous. The air conditioner is also on, but still, I am sweating. Because today we are going to have a video call.

As the phone rang, I ran to the mirror and adjusted my hair for the Nth time. I took a few deep breaths before practicing to smile in the mirror.

And then, with a shaky hand, I picked up the call.

As soon as his face came on the screen, all the practiced smiles vanished. My breath was caught in my throat. And I stupidly just gaped for a good five seconds before finally waving very awkwardly. "H-h-hi."

[Hi!] He grinned, on the other hand. His eyes twinkled like always, and his dazzling smile made me weak in the knees. [You look tired.] He suddenly said as he searched my face, his smile gone and concern prominent.

"I couldn't sleep last night." I blurted.

He paused and looked at me. I know this expression. He makes this face before he takes a step closer to me. And as expected, he neared the phone screen with his face. [Was it because of this phone call?] It almost came out as a whisper from him.

And I froze in place.

He silently waited for me to respond. And in that silence, all I could hear was the clock ticking and my heartbeat syncing with it.

Tick-tock. Ba-dum. Tick-tock. Ba-dum. Tick-tock. Ba-dum.