17

Past

I stood close beside the Murthaa, blue light reflecting toward both of our faces. Each screen in front of us broadcasted a different area of the War Sector. Some showed the cafeteria, which flashed with red, and other cameras showed the halls people scattered from.

I looked over to the Murthaa. Her hood was pulled high, dreads and face tucked in the shadows of her cloak. Even if we all were to die, it was the Murthaa who mattered. She was the only person who could keep this place running. I needed to run through a storm of bullets if it meant protecting her.

The Blood was pitch-black, dark red flashing as the sirens continued to go off.

Behind me, a few Generals pulled on their suits and awaited their orders from me. I wrapped my fingers around the straps of my vest. My eyes stayed trained on the screens in front of me.

It'd been ages since someone was able to infiltrate The Blood.

I couldn't wait to play.

A group of around seven men walked down the halls of the War Sector. We needed to act soon, they were getting too close to where the Anaka rested. I'd trained them on how to defend themselves during a lockdown, but I still did not want the time to come when they would have to use their training.

My finger twitched at the thought. I grazed the trigger of the machine gun I had slumped on my shoulder.

They were getting too close.

"Any ideas?" I asked, not looking away from the screen.

She shook her head. It was rare for a breach to happen, but not impossible. Usually, it was a group of rebelling members, wanting to leave The Blood. It happened a lot in Order, but rarely in Intelligence and War.

I focused on the masked large man in the front of the group. He led the masked six behind him and further down the hall. The group occasionally peeked through doors, shooting rounds into open rooms. I knew it wasn't targeted. They were wasting too many bullets on air for them to be searching for someone.

I looked up impatiently. I had an hour. Otherwise, I'd be late to me and Karro's anniversary dinner.

My lips perked.

Karro.

I wondered what he was going to get me for our anniversary. I wanted to get this nonsense over with so I could find out.

I turned and faced the Generals and Soldiers lined behind me, awaiting my orders. I pointed to the bulky man in the front. "This man, in the front? Do not kill him. Kill every last one of them, but not this one. I will deal with him."

General 88 stared up at me, a light behind her eyes that Man would deem insanity. She licked her lips and stared at the men with guns. She didn't just like the blood, she loved the kill. The murder. The guts.

I scanned my soldiers and Generals. Their heads were dipped low, showing respect toward me. When I was first promoted to Commander, I made sure every last one of them knew what would happen if I was disrespected. Heads were served with heads.

"Generals behind me, then soldiers, youngest in the back." There were some as young as fourteen; I'd keep them in the back until everyone in front of them was dead. I hated losing soldiers, so I kept the strongest in the front, and the weakest hidden in the back. "Stay in line with your ranks."

The group before me was only a small fragment of the War Sector. It was my inner arms in a way. During lockdown or emergency, this was the group I was able to call upon.

We left the small room, sealing the Murthaa inside of it. I held onto the straps of my uniform as we continued down the hall and toward the gunfire. I was in the front, with no helmet or mask protecting my face.