31| Set up

A/n: Sorry to disappoint you guys but it's for the plot, so bear with me. I promise it'll be worth it in the end. (I think) Also, I'm obsessed with the new cover😍

✧⁠*⁠。

"What?!" You accidentally yelled out of shock. Eyes wide as you stood up, staring at the man in front of you, barely believing his words as you started to blush. More than you intended.

"Are you serious right now?" You added, trying to read the expression on his face, failing to notice the slight redneck on his cheek

"I am."

"You're acting irrational right now!"

"Let me explain-" you cut him off.

"I never thought this is how you would ask a girl out as well!" You were shaking your head, in denial of his statement. You felt like you were dreaming.

Alhaitham stood up, facing you with a serious expression on his face. Well, that was enough to tell you he was indeed serious. "Y/n, let me explain."

You inhaled deeply, wiping your tears and realizing you stopped crying. "Okay, explain."

"I know it sounds irrational-"

"Oh, it definitely is!" You paused after hearing him click the roof of his tongue. You awkwardly laughed. "Continue..."

"However, I don't see another way out of this."

"So dating you is the only way out of this?" Luckily, he couldn't see how red your face was due to the dark. Your mind was barely processing his words, not to mention the butterflies in your stomach.

"For show."

"What?" You blinked multiple times, looking at him. You started to think this was more irrational than his previous words.

"You want us to date for show? Is that what you're trying to say?"

He nods. "I don't get it. Why? You wouldn't do anything as irrational as this if it doesn't benefit you."

"It'll benefit the both of us. Businessmen will stop pestering and trying to set me up with their daughters, you won't end up marrying a stranger." He explains

"This whole explanation doesn't sound like you made it. It doesn't sound like I'm talking to the Alhaitham I know." You commented.

"Do you want me to write a whole essay about it?" you stared at him in disbelief. You were starting to think his words weren't serious at all.

"No, thanks. But this whole thing is crazy. Have you thought about it enough? Like, do you understand what we're getting ourselves into?" If he was to be 100% honest with you, he would say no. In fact, Alhaitham himself was surprised by the words that came out of his mouth. No, this wasn't what he planned. It wasn't supposed to be for show.

He thought he had enough time. But considering the situation at the moment, there wasn't enough time. It was irrational, yes. But he would rather do something out of his comfort zone if it meant you wouldn't end up marrying a different guy.

"I wouldn't suggest things if I didn't." You stared at him in disbelief again.

"You said it a few seconds after I asked you to help me-"

"Do you want to do it or not?" You were confused. It felt wrong. You weren't sure if it was the fact that it would be all fake or if it was something else. You both would be lying to a lot of people. But Alhaitham was the better choice.

"I understand everything I've said sounds irrational, however, I'll set boundaries to make you comfortable with the setup." You looked down at the ground.