20 | Mali's Story

20 | Mali's Story 

 We stopped by a motel at the far end of the city, Ashton's wound was getting worse and we could afford to spend another hour in the van. Me cheeks were stained by tears as Harry holds me close. Ashton was unconscious as Mali and Calum stitches his wound. I was watching them intently.

 "You owe us an explanation." Michael says, he hands another towel to Mali. She nodded. "For years I've been putting together the things I want to say when this moment comes." Calum didn't utter a word since the airport, and I know everything is so clouded for him. 

 She finished off the stitches and wiped her hands, Calum does the same. Michael and Calum moved Ashton so he was at the center of the bed. Everyone was standing around the room, waiting for Mali to speak. 

Mali wasn't taken by The Bisons, Mali thought she was, so did Calum, but someone else took her. She was brought to a small town she didn't know, as if it wasn't plotted in the map. When they took the blindfold off her, she was surprised to see familiar faces. Those who used to be elite members of Infamous, those who their father ordered to be killed. They were all there, they were all alive. 

 Behind their father's back, Joy, their mother, faked the deaths of those he wanted to execute. Without their father knowing, Joy started a group for uprising, a group to take down the mafia her husband started. Joy knew that if Infamous isn't shut down, her children's lives will be in danger. She had to protect them. 

 "But why just you?! Doesn't she love me enough to save me from my own father?!" Calum cried. Without thinking, I reached out for his hand and squeezed it. Mali looked at him with tender eyes. 

"She loved you very, very much, Calum." She whispers. "But she couldn't take you without father finding out about the elite group." She hesitates. "Sophia.." she started and Calum looked up with fear and anticipation in his eyes. 

 "Sophia was hired by father. To keep you close, to keep watch." In a split second, Calum rips his hand off mine. He grabbed a chair and threw it against the mirror, he flips the table where the guns were, he was yelling, he was on rampage. 

I feel anger boil up in me, towards his father, towards Sophia, who played Calum like a toy. Mali quickly walks to Calum, hugging him tight. I've never seen him so vulnerable, the way he fell into his sister's arms, his muffled cries against the crook of her neck, and his arms wrapped tightly around Mali's waist, the whole world was falling against him. 

We all watched as Mali hugged him tighter and whispers into his ear, he calms down and for a split second I see little Mali and little Calum, and how Mali always served as his stronghold. 

She and Calum walked back to the group. I can't help but let a few tears fall. "You were our first mission, Calum." She starts. "We surveyed the Infamous headquarters for months, sometimes.." she pauses and lets a smile show, "Sometimes I watch you leave the house, or at school, I wanted to make sure you were doing okay without me and mum." She softly says. 

 Calum looks up, "Wait, if..if this was all mother's plan, does it mean she's.. she's alive?" His voice cracks. Mali's eyes fell. "She was." 

Was. 

Calum tenses up. "It was two days before we were supposed to take you, she just didn't wake up, Cal." Mali's voice was shaky, Harry squeezed my shoulder as I buried my face in my palms. 

There was silence. Michael speaks, "You said two days before you were supposed to take Calum, but you never did, you never started the mission." 

Mali looks at me. "As I said earlier, sometimes I check up on Cal in school, and I've noticed that he met someone new." I look away.