27 | Perfect

27 | Perfect

Calum can get up on his own now. He's almost recovered, but not fully. The most we could do is walk around village.

Apparently, if you live here, everything is free. Everything is provided for. The village people don't exactly buy and sell. Calum's father supplies everything, from the food in the small markets, to the medical necessities.

The chefs and doctors here are paid by his father. Calum explains to me how they get to hire them.

The doctors with families get paid twice than what they can earn in the city, as early as four in the morning, a boat takes them from the dock to the village. Of course, secrecy is necessary. Death is the consequence if you break the confidentiality of the village.

There is only one doctor who lives in the village, August. He used to be married, but his family was murdered while he was away for a conference.

He lost it, he was put into an asylum, but Calum's father took him in and had him undergo therapy. Now he lives here and serves the people in his gratitude towards Calum's father.

The chefs are no problem. The head chef of INFAMOUS, Flavio, trains volunteers to be his assistant chefs and eventually become huge chefs themselves.

Everything that i'm seeing now is making me understand why money is important for Calum's father. Because he finances everything, all the expenses in his burden.

I felt an arm drape over my shoulder and pulling me close. "I can hear your brain working." Calum jokes.

We were taking a stroll around the island.

"Don't touch me." I laughed, pushing him away gently.

He rolls his eyes. "Why can't you just admit to me that you like me back? You obviously like me."

I raised my eyebrows and gave him a face. "You wish."

The sky was starting to turn into a light shade of pink. "You wanted to save me so bad." He bites back a smile. "And, you came here, didn't you?" He teases.

He grabs my wrists and pulls me, my head lightly hitting his chest as we walk. "I would do it even if it was Michael." I tell him.

"Did you know Michael has this little crush on you?" He laughs. I create a space between us and wriggled my wrists off his hand.

I shrugged.

He purses his lips then smiled. "When i'm fully recovered, I'll take you back to the city." He says.

I thought for a while, "But it's beautiful here." I say as we reached the end of the island. I sat on the ground, and he does too.

"Maybe we can stay here for a little while.." I tell him. "Plus, when I leave, I don't think I can ever come back." Because when I do, i'll be followed, and I won't risk having this place discovered by The Bisons.

He extends his legs and crossed them. "I know." His voice having a hint of sadness.

The sky is now a shade of pink and orange.

The wind gently blows as we hear the birds chirping.

"I now understand how your father calls this home." I said, staring at the horizon in front of us.

"Everyone here is happy, carefree, they're shielded..your father—" I paused and looked at him, "he's unexpected." I continued.

"I may be the president's daughter, but I've never been at peace like how i'm feeling right now." I close my eyes as the wind brushes my cheek.