𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗻𝗲

ೃ࿔*:・✸⋆➶ ✧

ೃ࿔*:・✸⋆➶ ✧

A year later...

Boisterous and loud chatter sounded from the Crow Club as a girl weaved her way through the crowds, a shot glass in her grip. Behind her, walking at a much slower pace, was a boy with a crow cane, his eyes focused on her as she called out responses to their continued conversation.

In her hair, she had a blue ribbon, keeping her hair out of her face as she did whatever task her boss, Kaz, had set for her. She was wearing a matching blue dress, a shawl wrapped around her shoulders as she knew she did not need to wear something that enabled her easy access and flexibility, today was a peaceful day without any extra jobs.

Over the past year, she had suffered without Inej, feeling the girl's absence more than she would ever admit. It was especially painful when she would walk past the Menagerie, on one of the small tasks that Kaz had put her up to, knowing that she did not have someone to grab her hand as they reminded one another that they had escaped.

However, she had Kaz and she supposed he was one of the key factors to her sanity. It was ironic, two ruthless killers had managed to keep one another from nearing insanity.

True to his word, he tried around her, opening up with her more than he had ever with another. On the occasion they were alone, Anya sat on his desk as she scanned through his post, he allowed his gloves to slip from his hands, revealing all the various scars that had littered them.

On a very rare occasion, he allowed their hands to slip into one another's, enabling one another to work through their touch aversion. Sometimes they could not handle more than a few seconds before they felt the nausea and anxiety creep in, dropping their hold. Yet, other times they could remain hours just interlocked together.

It was challenging and they had days where Anya would storm out the Crow Club, not returning until nightfall because Kaz had said or done something stupid that made her wonder what she saw in him. But when she would return, he would be there, acting as if he had not been waiting up for her but they both knew he was only lying to himself.

The thought of him waiting for her always brought a smile to Anya's face and she wondered why she had even been mad in the first place.

Continuing throughout the Crow Club, an insult towards Kaz was thrown over Anya's shoulder. A passing Nina snickered as she adjusted her dress, watchign the two with an amused brow raised.

The two had just left his office, opting to go and check that Jesper had not gambled all of his money away. While he had Wylan to keep him tamed, he still gambled frequently, although it was a lot less than before.

As they made their way past the bar, Anya grabbed a shot glass and downed the substance while she walked, dropping the empty glass onto one of the empty tables.

"You're the reason we had to hire extra staff." Kaz commented, finally taking a seat at the end table. This was their favourite table, it overlooked everything, nothing was missed from these seats.

Anya merely grinned, taking the seat beside him as she looked around. "More company, more people on our side. What's the fault in that?" Anya joked

"Then their wages can come out of yours then." Kaz allowed his lips to curl into a smirk as the girl grimaced, immediately shaking her head at the thought.

"On second thought," she mumbled, sliding out of the seat to go and grab the shot glass, "maybe too much company is a bad thing. It is a little crowded in here." With her empty glass in hand, she turned to Kaz with a wide grin before she spun on her heel and headed towards the bar.

As she walked away, she was unaware of his eyes following her every move, as if he was unable to comprehend that she was really there.

ೃ࿔*:・✸⋆➶ ✧

Eventually, the crowd moved out and into the night, leaving only the four other Crows in the Crow Club. Stood by the pool table, was Nina, yawning tiredly as she ran her hands down her face. She spent most of her time sweet talking old men into aligning themselves with the Crows. She would also use them for possible information. Over the past year, she had become one of the Crows, she earned her way into their little group.

On the table opposite where Anya sat, was Jesper and Wylan who were talking amongst themselves, giggling together. They had immediately clicked and Anya could not deny they made a cute couple. She often wondered if Wylan had ever told Jesper who he really was, or if he had ever told anyone else who he was...

Of course it did not matter but being who he was, and Jesper being someone his family would shun, it left room for argument. As much as she loved drama, she did not want to see those two argue, they were some of her only friends and she wanted them both to be happy, which they seemed to find amongst one another.

At that same table they had been sat in hours earlier, was Anya, spinning a dagger between her fingertips as she looked around the empty room.

When Kaz called their attention, their conversation has stopped immediately. He stood up from the table, Anya following as they walked to the middle of the room. Moving beside Nina, Anya pulled herself to sit atop the pool table.

"An opportunity has presented itself." Kaz revealed to the group, his eyes distant as he looked towards the window. "The most lucrative job we've ever taken."

Before any of them could utter a single response or even ask questions, the door opened. All eyes moved towards the opening door, furrowing their brows at the sight before them.

"Inej?"

ೃ࿔*:・✸⋆➶ ✧
Words~1064.
{edited:no}

Note: i finally decided to continue with the book, dk if anyone's still reading this but hi! i'm going to rewrite and edit the earlier chapters cuz i don't like them as soon as i finish crooked kingdom so if nothing matches/there are plot holes sorry :(