34: Trust

The drive back to the docks was still hazy in her mind. The necklace was a bitter reminder of regrets she harbored to this day. The smiles, the scowls, the laughs, the cries, the questions, the answers; nothing made sense.

"Luna!" Mia shook her out of her daze. "We're here. Let's get out."

Luna took a deep breath and stepped out. Felix and Lily were waiting for them.

"We'll take care of them," Felix said, moving swiftly to the car along with Lily.

Mia took her sleeve and tugged her forward. They started moving fast to get to the others and-

"Holy freakin-" Mia gasped loudly. 

"Nothing like tons of dead bodies to get you to focus," Luna laughed without humor.

Luna took out her phone and dialed a number while making her way through blood and bodies lying around. Occasionally, she'd glance at a tattoo on one of the guard's arms and resist the urge to empty her stomach. Her scar was itching under her mask.

"Yujin," Luna spoke on the phone, "I need a favor."

A beat later, she passed the phone to Mia who then asked Yujin for help in cleaning up the docks before sunrise.

Luna went to a storage house and scaled it, feeling better at the top. The smell was disgusting down there.

"Help Yujin, I'll meet you in a while," and she started running across roofs to where she could hear noises.

She heard the crowd before she could see it. They were relatively tame but still hostile, ready to pounce if someone came even a bit closer. Luna had the ridiculous idea to jump from the roof in front of them with some weird background noise playing. 

Someone would've loved this idea.

She took the logical route: going to a roof that they could have a clear view of and shooting a revolver into the sky. The silence that followed was hella satisfying.

"I am Luna from Shadows," she started loudly, her voice resonating. "People surrounding you are either from Shadows or Stray Kids, the gang. We're here to help you and free you from Serpents. We can send you back to where you came from but for that, you need to trust us."

Luna could just whip out her dagger and chop the silence into pieces, that's how awkward it was. Thankfully, Chan started speaking.

"I'm CB97, the leader of Stray Kids," his voice was full of authority. "The only thing we demand in return for help is cooperation. Please cooperate with us and make it easier for everyone."

"I just lost my mother," a little boy around the age of 7, yelled loudly. "They shot her but no one helped! I'm not trusting anyone here. You can shoot me too for all I care!"

Luna wanted to cry.

"Every single guard here is dead because we shot most of them," Chan started, staring at the boy. "You guys tried, which was very brave of you, but your aim was nowhere near enough to get you all out of here alive."

"Listen here people," surprisingly, it was Jeongin speaking, "I was a slave too. I went through everything you guys did, I saw my family get shot point blank in front of me. I know what it feels like to see someone die." He then walked to that boy who, bless him, was ready to throw tiny fists. Jeongin raised his hands as he went on his knee, addressing everyone but looking at the boy. "I've lost everything and still managed to survive. You can too. You just have to trust us. Please."

The little boy contemplated for a moment before putting his fists down. He murmured something Luna could only guess as agreement because she couldn't hear him. Jeongin then moved forward to embrace the kid who began sobbing violently in his arms.