23 • YENNEFER: PRINCESS IN THE TOWER || PART 2

Mellario told her father. Mellario spread the rumours, a woman she had loved and cherished. How did she found out? How long has she been plotting my downfall. That was the cruelest cut of all Yennefer swore, trusting the vile bitch.

Hotah left to give her privacy, Yennefer rose up as the gulls continued cawing the sky, she found a cedar chest full of her clothes at the foot of her bed, so she stripped out of the travel stained garb she had slept in and donned the most revealing garments she could find, wisps of silk that covered everything and hid nothing.

Her father Prince Doran might think she's a child, but she refused to dress like one. She's twenty, a young adolescent, and she knows such garb would discomfit her father when he came to chastise and reprimand her for losing her maidenhead to Istred.

Yennefer counted on it.

"If my father thinks I'll crawl and weep for my life, let him be uncomfortable as well. He may have disinherited me, but I will remain Unbowed to his will, Unbent to be cursed for my sins and Unbroken to that evil witch he married from Norvos." She swore as a knock came on her door and opened.

Yennefer expected her father to come in today, but when the door finally opened it proved to be only the servants with her midday meal, a lavished meal for a prisoner.

"When might I see my father?" she asked.

Silence.

"I asked a question! Where is my father?"

Silence.

"Are you deaf! Or are you fools dumb? Answer me!"

Silence.

"Have you all lost respect! I asked a simple question yet none of talk! Were your tongues rip out? Answer me!" Yennefer flares up.

Absolute silence. none of them could answer. They arrayed her table with milk bead, juicy meat had been roasted with lemon and honey.

With it were grape leaves stuffed with a mélange of raisins, onions, mushrooms, fiery dragon peppers, water and wine.

"I am not hungry!" Yennefer shouted at them while they arranged the table.

"Gods know what my attendants must be going through right now." She says worriedly.

Her handmaidens would be eating ship's biscuits and salt beef on their way to Ghaston Grey, she hated that he had to suffer for her crimes.

"Take this away and bring me Prince Doran. Bring me my father at once! I command it!" Yennefer yells.

But the servants left the food, and her father did not come. After a while, hunger weakened her resolve, so she sat and ate.

Once the food was gone, there was nothing else for Yennefer to do. She paced around her tower, twice and thrice and three times thrice.

She sat beside the cyvasse table and idly moved an elephant. She curled up in the window seat and tried to read book, until the words became a blur and she realized that she was crying again.

"Istred, my sweet, black knight,why didn't you flee? Why did you go to my father? ..oh, gods be good he was innocent."

Finally, Yennefer crawled back onto the featherbed. The world had grown dark, and there was little she could do but sleep dreaming of ways to kill her step mother.

Mellario that witch, she thought. How did she find out? How long has she been envying my birthright? Or did one of her handmaids betray me or her was any of my friends working for her? Yennefer raked her brain, frustrated.

Someone told and her instincts were pointing at that evil witch of a stepmother. Whenever her father comes to see her, she would learn the truth. Prince Doran did not come the next day,though. Nor the day after.