25 • THE COLOUR GOLD

8 moons later

The Iron Throne looms in the great room, the blades of the conqueror's enemies, an indication of House Targaryen power, that could command or control any lord or vassal across the nation

The iron throne illuminates against the candles in the chandeliers and torches that was lit on the walls. Daemon stared at his brother's seat for a while before proceeding to climb the dias, to sit on it.

He is aware of which blades were sharp and which were dull, so he avoided cutting himself on the throne, for a moment he imagined himself being King.

He felt he belonged here, not Geralt, not the unborn heir Aemma carried in her womb, not even Rheanyra, no one.

This seat was his and his alone, but with Geralt's arrival he feels he is slowly being replaced by his nephew.

Irritated, Daemon frowns at the thought of Geralt being King,

Sighing, he stand up and descends the throne and gave one last look at the iron seat, before exiting the room, the Heir's Tournament is soon approaching, he must put the capital in order to avoid any calamities, tonight he and his gold cloaks must mark their territory in Kings Landing.

Dealing with politics bored him, and sitting in council meetings irritated him the most, especially breathing the same air with Otto Hightower.

Even though Viserys granted him the post of Master of Laws and Master of Coin, he still dismissed him from both offices and Daemon knows it's all Otto's doings.

The Hand will keep planting seeds of doubts in his brother to rid him off due to their rivalry.

Daemon sees Otto as a pretender, a leech, an ambitious man, greedy for power and station and Viserys is blind to see that Otto is preying on him for his own selfish gains as well as the rest of them in the Small Council.

Nonetheless, being commander of the City Watch allowed Daemon to gain the title 'Prince of the City'.

During the end of the first century, the city watch was poorly coordinated, despite the crowns laws, crime rates were high and enforcements were low.

The gold cloaks were randomly trained with hired goons from lowborn homes. But when Viserys named Daemon their new commander, many young high born men joined and equity amongst them was strengthened.

Daemon reminded them of their military installments and responsibilities for the Seven Kingdoms, he even urged the crown to invest in their military services, and within a year the gold cloaks numbered 3,000 strong.

Assuming the office, has given him an ability to hone is skills and make a mark. Being a rogue prince with two sides of good and evil was a balanced mesure. He re-formed and reorganized the weak men in the gold cloaks, re-equipped and gave them a perfect standing in Kings Landing.

Many loved him, few despised him, some hated him, to some he was a hero, to others a villain and to the realm is was the heir to the iron throne.

******
The City Watch's barracks is fortified like a stronghold. Daemon dresses himself. He fits on black ring mail armor and straps a hauberk across his waist which carries a Valyrian steel sword called dark sister. It's a hand-and-a-half type with a black, leather wrapped hilt. Lastly, he fastens on a gold cloak over his shoulders.

He then rises and goes out to meet his men.

Daemon marches out into the courtyard of the barracks. The gates to the city are sealed. The prince's hair is long and pin-straight, and it shines like beaten silver. Daemon exudes a dark charisma; he is a very dangerous man.