1 • THE OLD KING

Geralt P.O.V

V

I've being told the same story by my Septon many times ever since I was a boy, from what I recall, it goes something like this.

As the first century of the Targaryen dynasty came to a close, the health of the Old King Jaehaerys was failing.

In those days House Targaryen stood at the height of it's strength, with 12 adult dragons under it's yoke. No power in the world could stand against it

So, in the year 101, the Old King called a Great Council to choose an heir. Over a thousand lords made the journey to Harrenhall.

Harrenhall was the largest castle in the Seven Kingdoms was nearly destroyed in Aegon's Conquest.

On most days, the place is a haunted memory of the might of the Targaryen dragons. But those days was not today.

Today...... an heir would be chosen for the next generation.

In Harrenhall, thousands of people gathered, the banners and sigils of houses great and small: The Kingdom of the North, the Kingdom of the Mountain and the Vale, the Kingdom of the Isles and the Rivers, the Kingdom of the Rock, the Kingdom of the Storm lands, the Kingdom of the Reach, the Principality of Dorne, all which fill the former hall of Harren the Black.

At the head of the great hall was a large dais, upon which sat the Old King, my great great grand father King Jaehaerys Targaryen.

Or should I say King Jaehaerys the Conciliator.

The old man was in his 80s, stooped and weak, the burdens of time and duty were evidently weighing on him.

King Jaehaerys reigned over nearly sixty years of peace and prosperity. But, tradegy claimed both his sons, leaving his succession in doubt.

A terrible disaster.

While the Old King addressed the people, Two Archmaesters of The citadel comes in from the main entrance, carrying a chest up to the dais.

The Seven Knights of the Kingsguard were arrayed in a line at the foot of the dais. Including an Archmaester of the Citadel.

The High Septon also stood on the dais with the candidates, two distinct rules of succession.

Standing on the left side of the dais itself were the two candidates, my great aunt Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, a beauty in her 40s and her husband, Lord Corlys Velaryon, dark skinned, very young man and proud in his 40s.

The Sea Snake, that's what they called him. His house were also descendants of Old Valyria, very ancient than House Targaryen.

Corlys Velaryon is the second wealthiest man in westeros with plenty of ships at his command.

With his sacred union with Princess Rheanys Targaryen, it was evident the man loved power and his ambition would sooner or later blind him, but he was very anxious and eager to hear the final decree of the King.