24 • YENNEFER: DISINHERITED, BETROTHED & BANISHED || PART 3

Bored, scared yet eager to hear his judgment, Yennefer speaks up, breaking the cold silence between her, her father and Hotah who stood at the door post observing the scene.

"Why didn't you come to see me? I sent word to you." She questioned.

"I remember when I met your mother at Naath, she was a indeed a beauty, her wits and intelligent were imaginable. I will not love any woman like I loved Yvonne."

"She made see the world differently, a gemstone with a sincere heart, she never lied to me, always spoke the truth, her devotion to me was imaginable, I fell in love with her everyday, her presence gave me warmth , and reason to live." Doran gently narrates, gazing at the elephant skeptically.

Yennefer sighs, trying to blink her eyes to stop watering into tears, thankfully she did.
However she didn't like how Doran was starting his conversation, after Yvonne died when she was seven, he never for once spoke about her, he only consoled her for a year and married Mellario.

Now for the first time since her mother passed thirteen years ago, he's trying to scold her with her late mother's memory? Comparing her? What is Doran getting at?

"It's best you stop talking about my mother and honour her in silence." Yennefer sassed.

Doran shot her a glare, she held her tongue.

Silence.

"Is that the gout? Yennefer wondered. Or is it me?"

"A strange and subtle folk, the Volantenes," her father muttered, as he put the elephant aside.

"I saw Volantis once, on my way to Norvos..." Doran trailed.

Yennefer simply scoffs with a chuckle. "You mean where you met my mother's replacement? Or are you trying to lecture me of your blissful marriage with that wench Mellario! Spare me the details."

"I beg your pardon?" Doran rests his back in the cushioned chair.

"No need for beating around the bush father, go ahead and cast your judgement. Go ahead to cut me down like you killed Istred! Stop acting polite and good when your cruelty has cost nothing but guilt! Don't tell me you summoned me here after locking me up in a tower for weeks to tell me of your escapades with that wench you call a wife!"

"You forget yourself Yennefer. Be quiet. I am your father. Mellario is your stepmother. You will honour her name." Doran warns in a sternly dangerous tone.

"No! You listen to me! First that witch is no mother of mine as is her offsprings! I deserve to know why you'd strip me off my inheritance and birthrights, naming Quentyn in my stead. The Sunspear seat is mine! Mine by all rights! I am your firstborn yet you pass me over for a the son of that bitch you married and named her useless son heir!" Yennefer snaps.

Doran stands up and lunges at Yennefer, brushing his daughter's cheek with back of his hand.

The slap echoed in the room, Hotah bleached and held his breath. Yennefer staggers back, holding her face.

She flips her hair, glaring at Doran with an angry gaze, breathing heavily.

"Call Mellario another name and I will have Hotah cut out your tongue! Dare me!"

Yennefer doesn't say a word, Doran keeps his cool and smiles wanly. "Leave us, captain."

Hotah swallows, stamped the button his long axe on the floor, turned on his heel, and took his leave.