𝟓𝟐 | ...𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐑𝐮𝐢𝐧𝐬 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠

        𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐘

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐘. They were supposed to be satisfied with what they had until Deena was ready to find them. Until she was in college and away from her family with a perfect seal-proof alibi.

Why aren't they satisfied?

Why aren't they afraid?

Her nails pinched deep into her palms to distract the thick smell of wolfsbane choking down her throat. It burned like fire as it traveled through her veins, and weakened her knees with no will to stand.

You're a walking threat but an easy target.

Erik's echoey voice forced itself through the bubble Deena wrapped herself in as he called out her name. A hand touched her lower back, the other at her shoulder. She couldn't tell at this moment who was touching her and hated the feeling of any physical contact even from the one she loved.

"Don't touch me!" Deena snapped, recoiling from the hands that released her immediately. She felt terrible if was her boyfriend but knew he wouldn't take it personally. "Please — don't. Not now."

Whatever he said was ignored when Deena rushed to grab a jar of salt near the bedside and her brow razor from the bathroom. She quickly drew a small circle of salt before her on the floor and filled the space with her blood, having to cut deep enough to prolong healing. It didn't hurt as much when distracted by the fear of the past. Then closed her eyes and began chanting.

Deena could panic herself into closing off the world again and remain in her room for months...or take her father's advice and learn from her weaknesses to grow in her strength. Even as terrified as she was, it's not her job to make people understand her and prove herself as non-threatening. She was what she was and there's no changing that.

There was movement within the room before Erik interrupted her concentration trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Deena continued her chanting but this infuriated him further. "Can you talk to me, please? Can you help me understand what's happening? I don't understand witch talk. Not fluently at least." The beg was evident in his tone.