T W E N T Y - T W O

ADVIK

I came back with a smile on my face.

She's serene and beautiful.

"Oh ho. Someone's smiling, huh?" Nikhil sang while clicking pictures of my face.

I scowled and turned my face in opposite direction. "Fuck off, shit head."

He grinned and pushed me to sit on the chairs. "Now fucking tell me what happened."

"She said that I look cute in messy hair." I replied still remembering her soft voice in the back of my head.

"And you're acting like a love sick teenager because?"

"It feels kind of good, you know."

"I know man. I am happy for you." He smiled and once again clicked my picture.

"I am so going so send it to Riya. She'll be surprised to see your smiling face." He added.

But this time I didn't feel like saying a word to him. I am excited to read the book she recommended to me. It must be special if she personally chosen it for me.

After tolerating few more insensible sentences from Nikhil, I went to terrace.

Soft breeze touched my flesh, as I sat at the corner under the sky full of stars. Taking out my cellphone, I switched on the flashlight.

As I turned the first page of book I read the lines - "Dedicated to the buried pain in your heartbeat."

I pushed the saliva down my throat in discomfort and all the smile that I had before was now gone.

On next page, there are images of fireflies and something is written on the top which reads- "Your sparks are still inside you, all you've to do is to find them."

I ignored it because all I get after reading is void emotions. These motivating stuffs are for the people who wish to change their lives unlike me. I am the result of my poor choices in the past which will haunt me forever.

I am reading this only because she has given it to me otherwise I would've thrown it right away.

"Your heart is still opaque from the demons."

"Maybe darkness has consumed you but still your heart is fighting against all the odds. It is fighting against all your demons.

Maybe the ghosts of your past are still haunting you, maybe the person you loved has betrayed you, maybe someone close to you died, maybe the taste of continuous medicine makes you more sick, maybe you get poor grades all the times, maybe nobody loves you, maybe people calls you ugly, maybe your body is different from everyone else, maybe you failed to achieve your dreams.

And this maybe list will go longer than one could ever imagine. But still after everything, your heart is fighting everyday against your demons so that you can live.

Don't disappoint your heart. It needs strength to fight and your hope is the only strength."

After completing this page, I have an strange urge to read it again. And so I did. I read it for about 6-7 times till each and every words are locked in the back of my mind.

It didn't make me happy but I somewhere felt connected to it. I don't have any hope yet my heart is surviving.

All of sudden, my interest spikes in reading it further.

"Someone told me that coffin was filled with drug; of peace but my heart reminded not to fool my nerves in search of a lie."

Fuck! This is so satisfying.

"Both beating and hurting as one, your heart will always remember it's scars but only after offering you smiles."

And just like that, I spent my whole night reading the book.