7. So confused

After V-ball practice, Paige drives me home. She goes on about Brett the whole time, which I don't mind. It kept her talking so I could think of a way to get Garrett to tell me what happened to him. I know...I'm being persistent. But I want to know! And by the way...yes! I was paying attention to Paige talking about Brett. Okay, maybe I only caught half of what she was saying....but it was really everything I already knew about him. 

 I say good-bye to Paige, then walk towards my house. After opening the door I hurry upstairs to my room. I put my bag down, and fix myself up a bit. I hurry downstairs, preparing to leave the house and drive to Garrett's house. I don't exactly know where that is but I'd figure it out on the way. I grab the keys to my car and start to walk out the front door. I open the door and pause. Garrett's stands there. Hands in his blue jean pockets. 

"Hey," he says with a small grin.

"Hey," I reply as I look at his face. The swelling on his eye seemed to be going down.

"Um, can I come in?"

I watch him. He seems a little...nervous? "Yeah, sure." I step aside and let him step inside the house. He looks around the living room.

I close the door and watch him as he turns to face me. What do I say? I hadn't really had a plan to what I would say when I got to his house. Thankfully I don't have to start the conversation.

"About earlier..." He pauses, pulls out his hands from his pockets and runs his hands down his face. "Look, I really don't want to talk about what happened. But I'm okay."

Unsure of what to say I slowly nod my head and repeat his words, "You're okay."

"Yeah." He looks around, "Want to hang out?"

"Um, ye-yeah. Sure." Why was I stuttering?

He smirks at me. "Maybe in the bedroom?"

I glare at him. "Get out." I point to the front door.

"Okay, okay. Bad idea." he holds up his hands, surrendering. I don't stop the glare. "Maybe watch  TV?" I continue to glare. "We can sit on separate couches." I still glare. "Okay, I'll stand in another room."

I burst out laughing. I guess he wants to stay here. "Sure."

He laughs then stops, "So I have to stand in a whole other room....by myself?"

I shake my head, trying to contain my laughter. "No, just no more perverted jokes."

"Okay, and what about sitting on different couches?"

I shrug, "We can share one. Just, again, no pervertedness." 

He smirks, "Deal." 

**********************

Two hours later we are sitting on the couch, eating popcorn and watching  Bride Wars. 

"This movie sucks," he says shaking his head and looking at the TV in disgust.

I shrug, "Yah, but it's what's on."

"Can we do something else?"

"Like what? Is watching immature grown, hot, women fight not entertaining enough?"

"No, not really." he looks over at me with a frown.

"Yeah, same here." I turn the TV off.

I stare at the bricks on the fireplace. "What now?"

I look over at Garrett, who is reclining on the couch, looking at me with a smirk on his face. "I don't know," I respond slowly.

Garrett sits up, he is six inches away from my face. I stare into his blue eyes, he stares back into my brown ones. What is he doing? "Has anyone told you that you are beautiful?" I feel the heat rise to my cheeks. 

"Don't be perverted, Garrett." I whisper, trying not to look down at his lips.

"I'm not being perverted. I am just stating a fact. A lovely one at that." I watch as he slowly moves in, daring to put his lips on mine. Before his lips meet mine, I do something I'm sure Paige will get onto me about later. I slap Garrett's left cheek.

Garrett's head turns to the side and he reaches a hand up to caress his hurt cheek. "What the heck, Ruth?!"

I stand up. "I told you no pervertedness!"

"I wasn't being a pervert. I was trying to kiss a girl I though was beautiful! Anything wrong with that?" He stands up and looks me in the eye. 

I feel the heat rise on my cheeks. "No....wait yes!"

He looks at me with a confused look. "Why won't you let me kiss you?"

I don't totally know why I won't let him kiss me. I just don't want him to, I guess? Am I scared? I look at Garrett who now has a red cheek. "Garrett, I just don't want to kiss you. Not now." Did I say that last part? Did I seriously say that? Does that mean I want to kiss him? Heck, why is this so confusing?!

He shakes his head and looks at the ground. "You're something, Ruth. You know that?" I don't reply. "Thanks for the couple hours of fun. I'll see you around." And with that he walks past me, and walks out the door. He's gone. 

I moan. Crap.