24. Preparations

"My head," I complain, rubbing my temples. I had gotten whacked in the face, with a volleyball, during the game. I'd ignored the pain, seeing that when the ball bounced off my face Lace was able to pop it up then Kiana hit it over the net; making us the winning team. I forgot all about my pain as we screamed and huddled together, jumping like crazy. It was only now, as I sat in the locker room, that I was feeling the pain. 

"Here, put this to your face," Kiana instructs. I take the plastic bag, which is filled with ice, and set it on my head. I feel instant relief. 

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it," she smiles and walks off to change.

I lay down on the locker room bench. I was still in my jersey, but I didn't plan on changing here. I'd wait to get home and shower. I look over at Paige who was gathering her stuff. I decide to get up and gather my own things. I pack my bag, still holding the bag of ice against my head.

"Are you ready to go?" asks Paige. I nod, throwing my bag over my shoulder.

"Bye," we tell the girls.

"Bye," a few respond.

Paige and I walk out of the gym and through the school hallway, headed for her car. We throw our bags in the back seat and get in the car. She starts it up and we drive off.

I sigh, my head still bothering me a bit. "That was a good game."

"Yeah," she says. "It was." I nod and look at her. She seems a bit distant.

"Um, you okay?" I ask. She takes a small glance down, at her hands, on the steering wheel. 

"I don't know," she says.

I raise an eyebrow, "Has something happend?"

She shrugs, "Something has been happening."

"Has been? What is it? How long has it been going on?" I turn in my seat to get a better look at her. Why hasn't my best friend already told me something was going on? We don't keep secrets. 

She shifts in her seat. "Remember Monday when I told you I was going to tell Brett that I love him?" she takes a small glance at me.

My mouth drops open. I had totally forgotten! What kind of friend am I? I mean, with everything going on around Garrett, I guess I just- Well, I forgot. Wow. "I remember! Did you tell him?"

She slowly nods, "Yeah," she licks her lips. "He hasn't said anything back yet."

My heart sinks. Oh no. He didn't say it back? Oh, she must be feeling so awkward. "I'm sorry..." I say.

"Yeah, well," she shrugs, "Maybe he just isn't ready for it? Maybe in the future?" I nod encouragingly. "Or," her bottom lip starts to tremble, "maybe he doesn't love me and never will. I think I made a huge mistake; and I don't know if it's just me, but I think he's been avoiding me. He's been avoiding me! I must have scared him off. What if he decides to break up with me?!" She starts to cry.

"No, no! Pull over!" She does as I say, pulling into a McDonald's parking lot. We face each other. "I want you to listen to me." I say, seriously.

"Okay," she says, trying to wipe her tears off her cheeks.

"You are amazing! Brett is not going to break up with you because you dropped the "L" word. I honestly  think that he loves you back. He might not be ready for it? Or maybe he wants to tell you in a really special way? You can't cry about this! You did not make a mistake by telling him." She looks down as I scan her face. "You got it?"

She nods, "I got it."

"Good," I say, smiling.

She laughs, "Thank you, Ruth. I don't know what I would do without you."