26: Peace and War

Walking through the school hallways, I try looking for Garrett. I really want to talk to him. I'm positive I made him mad last night while trying to talk to him. Maybe talking to him now wouldn't be so wise? But honestly, I don't feel as though I can wait any longer. I need to talk to him now.

I had just finished my sixth period, and was headed to the cafeteria. I should definitely spot Garrett there or on my way. Since he had moved up in math, I wouldn't see him after lunch. Or after our seperate classes because I had to hurry from math to volleyball practice. Right, so I need to talk to him now.

"Ruth!" I turn at the call of my name to see Will. Oh, snap!

"Oh, hey," I say, giving a small smile. "What's up?"

He approached me, his face serious. "What happened last night?"

"Oh, um..." I trail off. I have to tell him I'm not interested. I can't play with his feelings again. "I had to go find someone." I pause waiting to see if he'll say something, but he doesn't. So I go on, "Look, William, I'm really sorry but I don't like you like that. I shouldn't have played around with you last nigth at all. I was just trying to have some fun, I'm-"

"Alright," He cuts me off with a shake of his head. "I'll see you later." With that, he walks off. My heart drops as I watch him go.

Dang it! I can't believe I did that to him. He must hate me. I'm such a terrible person. I can't be like that. I can't be focusing on some guy just to make another one jealous. This isn't right. I continue on my way to the cafeteria.

"I can't believe you said that!" I look around, recognizing Paige's voice.

"Please, you know it's true." I peek around a corner to spot Trisha and Paige standing in an empty hallway. I walk towards them.

"What's going on?"

They both look at me. "Trisha is saying she slept with Brett last night."

"Cause he did!" Trisha states.

"Please, you know it's not true Paige. Don't listen to her."

"Obviously she doesn't know if it's true or not cause she hasn't walked away."

I look from Trisha to Paige. No, my friend will not be having these doubts about her boyfriend. I grab her wrist and starts to walk down the hall. We need to leave this situation.Next thing I know, my grip on Paige is lost as she falls to the floor. I gasp and look back at Trisha who is standing there, a smirk on her face.

"What the heck?!" I yell as I crouch down to help Paige up.

"You're such a slut!" Trisha screams at Paige.

"What did I do to make me a slut?" Paige asks as she stands up.

"You stole my boyfriend!"

"He broke up with you. I didn't steal him."

"He was mine first and will always be mine."

"Whatever," Paige turns to walk away but is pushed again, she catches herself this time. She turns around fast and pushes Trisha back.

"Paige!" I yell, scared of what will happen.

Trisha pounces at Paige and they go at it; pushing, pulling, and slapping. Paige quickly gives a punch to Trisha's face.

"Stop it!" I try to pull them apart but am pushed back. I try to stop them again but am held back. I look behind me to see Garrett holding me back.

"Garrett?" He looks down at me with eyes full of so many emotions. Oh gosh.

"Stop!" Paige screams as Brett holds her back and some other guy from the football team holds Trisha back.

"You little bitch!" Trisha screams at Paige.

By now I'm ready to charge at Trisha. But Garrett holds me back. He and Brett both pull us away from Trisha. They walk us down the hall before stopping.

"You're lucky none of the adults saw this." Brett reprimanded Paige.

"Yeah, I know." She looks down, anger still in her eyes.

"I heard the argument. You don't believe her do you?"

Paige is silent. I look at Garrett. He looks back. "Can we talk?" He nods.

I look over at Paige and Brett. "We'll let you talk. I'll see you later, Paige." Paige nods as we turn to walk down the hall. We stop when we're out of ear shot. I look at him. "I'm sorry I've been so annoying."

He shrugs, "It's okay."

I bite my lip, "how are things?"

He looks down, "My dad is going to jail. He went to court yesterday."

"I'm sorry.."

He shakes his head, "it's his fault. He brought a gun into it."

I nod. "How is your sister?"

"what do you think?"

"Not good..." I trail off.

"She's struggling, yeah."

I wait a minute before saying anything. "Are we...okay?"

He looks me in the eye. "You broke up with me."

"I know, but I need you back. I want you back."

"Why did you break up with me then?"

"My parents thought it would be best."

"Are they okay with us get if back together?"

"I'm not sure."

"Then we don't need to get back together."

"But, Garrett.."

"Stop. I can't think about this right now."

I nod, sadly. "Okay."

"I'll talk to you later," and with that he walks away.

Author's Note: I know it's short. Sorry! But, more is to come. I'm getting close to the end. I've still got some things planned. Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment your thoughts!:)