15. New things

"So?" 

I look over at Paige. "What?" I had barely gotten into her car when she asked me the this.

"Details!" she shrieks as she pulls out of my driveway.

"Oh, right." I say. I tell her the events of last night.

"Aww!" She says after I explain them to her. "He is sooo sweet! Such a gentleman!"

I laugh, "Yah, it was a good night."

She smiles at me, "Oh, sorry I didn't make it to church yesterday. I ended up doing something with my mom."

"It's fine. Did you have a good time?"

"Yes! Oh-my good-ness! It was so much fun!"

Paige's parents are divorced. She lives with her dad and occasionally goes to hang out with her mom, who also lives in town. But her mom is usually busy so they don't see each other much. 

"What did you do?" I ask as we pull into the school parking lot.

"We shopped and got our nails done, and we went out to a fancy restaurant. So much fun!"

"Cool!" I say with a smile. I'm so happy she had a good time. "Which restaurant?"

"It's called-Oh my gosh!" she pauses and points out the window. "Hottie at two o'clock."

I look to where her finger points, out the window. My eyes land on a very handsome boy. His dark brown hair was combed down across his forehead. His light blue eyes searched the parking lot. He's wearing blue jeans with a dress shirt and tie. 

"Oh my..." I say slowly. 

"Suddenly there are just hot new kids showing up, aren't there?"

I nod, "Yes." I bite my lip. Woah...okay. What happened to Garrett? Think Garrett. Think Garrett. Think- . The boy's eyes met mine through the car window. I blush and turn to Paige who smirked at me. 

"Garrett has competition." she said in a sing-song voice.

"Oh, please. Just cause I looked at an attractive guy does NOT mean he has competition."

Paige just smiled and pulled into a parking spot. I was slow to get out, hoping the boy would walk off so I wouldn't have to pass him. But, just my luck he was still where he stood. He leaned up against a black ford truck now, I'm assuming it's his, staring at his phone.

I swing my bag over my shoulder and head towards the front doors with Paige. As we pass the new kid Paige suddenly stops. Before I could pull her along she was introducing herself to the kid. "Crap," I think to myself.

"Hello," she says waving a hand. The kid looks up and gives a small smile. 

"Hey."

She smiles, "My name is Paige. I haven't seen you around. I'm assuming you're new."

He nods, "Yah, first day."

"If you need help with anything, just ask."

"Okay," he looks over to me.

"Oh!" says Paige walking over to me and pushing me in front of the guy. "This is my friend, Ruth." I wave and give a small smile.

"I'm William. But, I go by Will."

I nod, "Cool," says Paige. Man...why does she have to be so good at talking to people? Can't we just stay in our own little worlds? "Well, see you later Will."

"Bye," he says. We wave and walk off. When I was sure he wouldn't be able to hear us I say,

"If you're trying to set me up, you've forgotten that I like Garrett."