8. Something wrong Garrett?

"You what?!" I move my cell phone away from my ear, trying to prevent any damage from the shouts of Paige.

"Yes, I slapped him."

"Girl...." she says slowly, "He wants to kiss you! Let him kiss you!"

"But I don't know if I want my first kiss from him. I don't know if I even like him." 

"Don't give me no crap." she says, I could hear the snap of her fingers on the other end. 

"But, what if it's not-"

"What if it's not what? Perfect?" Paige laughs, "Ruth, listen. Having your first kiss is different then giving your body to someone. You are gonna kiss different people, but you only want to have sex with one guy. It will be okay if you kiss Garrett. I understand you want it to be at the right moment. But, let him kiss you if he wants to kiss you. Just don't let it go any further than that."

I listen to my best friend. She knows exactly what I need to hear. She knows my secrets and my beliefs and my wants. I don't know who could have given me any better advice. 

"Ruth, I know the whole falling in love thing can freak you out. Don't let it."

I sigh, "Okay. How are things with Brett?"

Paige giggles, "Amazing! We are going out to dinner tomorrow night."

I smile, "I'm glad everything is working out perfectly, you've waited so long."

"I know! So long, I thought it would never happen. Oh! By the way, can you come over tomorrow after school to help me with an outfit?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Yay!" she squeals into the phone. "Hey, Brett is calling. Talk to you later?"

"Yeah, sure. Love you!"

"Love you, girl!" 

The call ends and I set my phone down on one of my bedside tables. I sigh and snuggle under the blankets. It's 8:30 pm. My parents and sister are home, they're all just doing their own thing. I had already finished my homework, so I go on to bed early.

**********

I sit down at a table in the library. I look around. No sign of Garrett yet. Garrett and I had quickly decided after math class that we would meet here for math tutoring. It was the only words we had said to each other all day. I hadn't apologized for freaking out on him or slapping him. I probably should. 

"Hey." I jump, slightly, at the voice behind me. I turn to see Garrett sliding into the chair next to me.  I watch as he pulls paper, books, and pencils out of his back pack.  I'm silent, just watching his face. He finally turns to me, and he notices my eyes locked on him. He raises an eyebrow. Crap. I quickly look away, embarrassed.

"So," he says turning his attention back to his math book. "Chapter fifty-four."

"Yes," I say, I pull my math book closer to me and open it. "Chapter fifty-four."

About half an hour later I can't stand it any longer. I need to say something. I need to apologize. I need to talk to him about something besides math. I'm not real sure on how to do that but before I can think of a good plan my mouth opens and the stupidest words come out. 

"Nice weather."  Garrett takes his attention off his math problem he's working on and stares at me, question in his eyes. I lick my lips, not sure of what else to say. "Garrett, look, about last night..." 

"It's fine." Garrett turns back to his books, lips pressed tightly together. 

"No, I shouldn't have slapped you. You were just trying to kiss me, it was just a kiss." I inspect his face. His lips aren't pressed so tight together anymore. He seems to be thinking. But by the way his eyes are scanning his math papers I can't tell if he was thinking of a response for me or his worksheet.