17. The Game

Author's Note: I did not read over it all before posting. If there is a mistake, I welcome the notice. I will go over it later, I guess. Enjoy! Don't forget to Vote and Comment your opinion! Follow me if you haven't already! I will follow back! Thanks!

I stare at the cheerleaders as they do their little show. I can't help but watch Trisha, in anger. I  notice her wink in his direction, in Garrett's direction. I take a glance at him. But he's not staring at her. He's staring at me. I take my eyes off of him and scan the crowd. Kristina didn't show. She texted me and said she wouldn't make it. That's okay. She's been to lots of my games with my parents.

"Okay, ladies," I turn my attention from the crowd back to Coach. The other team had called for a time-out, so we had quickly huddled together. "You guys can win this game! You won the last two sets, keep up the great work!" 

Our Varsity team, which is what i'm on, had been doing great! We were so close to winning this thing.

"Everybody hands in," My teammates and I throw a hand into the middle and all shout,

"Go, Nighthawks!" We all separate just as the buzzer goes off. 

The cheerleaders move off the court. I take my position as middle back. Paige as setter, Lace as left back, Kiana as middle front, another teammate named Rebekah as left front, and Georgie as right back. The referee blows his whistle, indicating the "okay" for the other team to serve. The tall dark skinned girl across the court tosses the ball in the air. She hits it and sends it in our direction. I watch it as it soars over to my right, to Georgie.

"I got it!" shouts Georgie, preparing herself to pass the ball. She passes it towards the front. Paige moves towards it yelling,

"Mine!" She sets it over to Rebekah, who hits it over the net making it zoom to the floor. The other team dives for it, but they miss. The ball rolls on the ground as we cheer. 

We get the ball and Paige prepares to serve. The Ref blows his whistle and gives the motion with his hand. She tosses the ball in the air and hits it, completing the upper hand serve. She runs to her position towards the front.

The ball gets played on the opponet's team, they use their third and last hit to smack it over to us. We were ready for it though. I slide down to my knees as I call out, "Got it!"  I pass the ball towards Paige. It stays in the air for a couple seconds then comes down. Paige stands underneath it. When it comes down she sets it to the front row. Kiana smacks it down over the net.

Some girl on the front row is able to get underneath it. She pops it into the air. Their setter sets it and another girl hits it over to our side. Kiana is ready though and she hits it right back. A girl from their back row dives at it, but she misses. My team, along with the crowd who routes for us, cheers.

I look at the score. 23-15. We just need two more points then we win! We can do this! Paige gets the ball back. After the referee blows his whistle, she serves. The ball soars over the net, one girl passes it towards the front, but the girl hits it wrong and it goes out of bounds, too far for them to get to it before it touches the ground. Our team cheers. Just one more point.

Paige gathers the ball again, waits for the referee to give the "okay" then serves.  The ball goes up in the air, and over the net. It barely goes over the net when one of the front row players jumps up and smacks it towards us. I call out,

"Got it!" and dive for it. I pass it up, towards the front row. Paige is there. She sets it and Rebekah hits it over the net, hard. It goes zooming to the ground. No one gets it. My team goes up in a roar of cheers. We won! 

The other teammates on the bench run to us on the court. We group hug, still cheering. "Good job, Ladies!" says our Coach smiling at us all.

My smile widens on my face and I let out a cheer, "Go team!" We laugh and get ready to run along the net, to congratulate the other team on a "good game".