Chapter 23

Uo sat next to Kyo awkwardly on the porch, staring out on to the snow covered ground. They both recently ran out of things to talk about so instead they just sat there in silence.Uo couldn't stand it anymore so she chose to break it.

"Hey orange top?" She said.

"Yeah?"

"Um." She didn't know how to say it. "Well."

Kyo rolled his eyes. "Well, spit it out Yankee."

Uo glared at him and sighed. "Fine. I just wanted to say its been fun celebrating Christmas with you." She said. "Even if you act like a dumb ass."

Kyo raised an eye brow. "Really?"

"You think I'm lying?"

He shrugged. "Maybe, its just I don't usually hear that kind of crap from you."

Uo smirked. "Oh you mean that softie crap?"

"Exactly."

"Is it cause you don't want all that mushy stuff rub off on you?"

"You got it."

Uo chuckled. "Well news flash tough guy, I already know you got a soft side of you."

He scoffed. "Believe what you want, Yankee." Kyo grumbled. "That doesn't prove anything."

"Doesn't prove anything huh?" She pondered. She turned to her left where the porch beam stood next to her. Drops of snow fell onto the wooden step next to her. Uo reached out and brushed the snow away, until she felt a prick.

She winced and pulled back her hand. She turned it over to find a small splinter sticking out from her skin.

"Geez orange top, when was the last time you guys replaced the floor board?" She said gritting her teeth as the pain stung.

Kyo shrugged. "Dunno. Why?"

"Nothing. It just gave me a little splinter that's all." She replied, showing Kyo her punctured finger. A small trickle of  blood dripped from the wound.

"The hell??" Kyo's eyes widened. "Go get something to clean the damn thing! Its gonna get infected if you don't treat it right away."

Kyo got up from the porch step. "Forget it. Just stay right there!" With that he turned around and ran inside the house before Uo had a chance to protest.

She let out an exasperated sigh. "Its just a cut.." She said to herself, while staring at her finger. Kyo's sudden actions had surprised her. Why would he care? I'm no one to him. It seems like we're barely friends, so why bother?

A few moments later, Kyo came back with a wet towel and a band aid. He plopped down next to Uo. "Where's the cut?"

"Orange top, its nothing. You don't have to—"

"Where's the cut?" He said again, a little more forceful.

Uo reluctantly reached out her right hand to Kyo who grabbed it and started dabbing the wound with water. She flinched as the pain stung then finally relaxed. She stared at Kyo who was cleaning her finger. His eyebrows scrunched together concentration.

Uo never seen him like this before... Finally when he was done he peeled off the bandaid and wrapped it around her wounded finger.

"There." He said.