Chapter 39

Uo yelped in disgust as she stepped in a mud hole. Grunting, she pulled her foot out and started wiping the dirt off her shoes.

Uo, Tohru and Yuki went to go and look for Kyo, who ran into the forest after his transformation, but haven't had any luck in finding him. They followed as much of his tracks as possible but the snow covered most of his footprints. Shigure was out in his car looking for Kyo as well.

"What if he's cold out there?" Tohru mumbled to herself. "Or what if he got hurt?"

"I'm sure he's okay, Miss Honda." Yuki reassured her.

"Oh I can't help but worry." Tohru fretted. "Remember the last time he.. Changed?"

Yuki nodded knowing the event that occurred only a few months ago.

"So... What did happen?" Uo asked walking beside them and over hearing their conversation.

"Well, Akito came to the house again." Tohru started. "It was raining. He knew I found out about the curse and had a suspicion about me ever since I met him. Then it happened. He pulled off Kyo's bracelet and..." Her voice faltered.

"Go on, Miss Honda." Yuki encouraged.

She smiled at him and continued. "... And he transformed. Akito wanted to prove that he couldn't be loved. That I couldn't break his curse. No one can. Eventually I found the courage to go after him. So did Yuki. When we found him... We fought a little then I confessed.."

Uo glanced at Yuki who walked next to Tohru tensed.

Yeah it is kinda awkward hearing your girlfriend talk about a guy she used to like.

"And everything was alright after that." Tohru finished. "Well sorta... I did go visit Akito after that."

Uo stopped and looked at her friend surprised. "The hell would you do that for?"

"I thought I could talk and reason to him about the Sohma's curse." Tohru shook her head in dismay. "There was some... Complications. But I think I was able to change his mind about erasing my memory."

"The good thing now is that it was over." Yuki chimed in. "Our main focus now is to look for Kyo."

"We're not making any progress though." Uo muttered.

The three friends kept walking through the forest in silence. Uo looked around, desperate to find Kyo as soon as possible. Infront of her Yuki and Tohru held hands and talking quietly to each other. As she stared at them, she suddenly felt a longing inside her chest. Watching her best friend happy with someone made her realize that she felt something missing.

Could Kyo be that person she's missing in her life?

"Look!" Yuki exclaimed.

Uo abrubtly backed out of her thoughts and jogged to where Yuki and Tohru stood. As she caught up to them she saw that the forest opened up into a flat land with a river flowing beside it. As she gazed around she inhaled sharply and stopped at a group of rocks a few feet from the water. There, a creature sat on the highest boulder.

That creature was Kyo.

"Kyo!" Uo whispered.

Tohru placed a hand on her shoulder. "I think you should go approach him. Me and Yuki will stay here and come and help you in case something goes wrong."