Chapter 44

The sun was so bright. Brighter than a million fireflies in the dead of night. There was no clouds in sight, just small birds flying gracefully in the sky. The air smelled sweet like honey and it felt comfortable and safe. Flowers surrounded the grass with their beautiful, warm colors as they swayed in the morning wind. Everywhere that Tohru turned to gaze at was a breathtaking view of true nature.

She never realized how beautiful, how perfect everything can be. This was definitely not reality. It felt like a dream. A dream that she never wanted to wake up from. The light of the sun grew brighter and Tohru bathed in the warm heat that it radiated. She stretched out her arms and smiled happily. The pain in her body was no longer there and she felt more alive than ever.

Over the horizon, Tohru could see a small figure waving towards her. She squinted to get a better look at the person when she realized who it was. The tall lady came closer, her hand still waving and her short reddish brown hair flowed in the wind.

It was her mother.

Tohru gasped and ran towards her, "Mom! Mom!" The dress that she was wearing was the same yellow lace she wore when she shared a dream with Kyo. Tohru ran as fast as her feet could carry her until she felt herself collapse in her mother's arms.

She broke into tears of joy as she embraced her and held on tightly, scared that if she would let go soon she would disappear.

"I miss you so much!" Tohru whispered, "I'm doing well in school just as you asked! I'm learning so many new things! Mom, I've been through so much but I was able to overcome them with my friends!"

Her mother laughed softly while patting her head, "I knew you would. You're so strong and so kind, Tohru. And I have missed you very much."

"I wanna stay with you here!" Tohru looked up into her mother's brown eyes, "Look how beautiful everything is! It feels like a dream. This is the most wonderful place I've ever seen. I don't feel no pain or sadness I just feel so happy!"

Kyoko smiled lovingly at her daughter, "I know, this place is a perfect, safe haven and I'm able to watch over you, to keep you safe and to protect you." Her eyes suddenly saddened, "But it's not the time for you to join me, Tohru. Someday you will, when fate has called you. For now, you still have a purpose to fulfill in life. Your friends are worried about you and they need you more right now."

Tohru stared intently at her mother and quickly understood what she was telling her. It was not her time yet to join her mom. But one day she will. She will be united again with her parents.

Tohru nodded happily and gave her mother one last hug, "I love you and I miss you."

"I love you too." Was all she heard until her mother's voice faded into the bright light of the sun. Her gaze was now dark and she was pulled inside a blanket of darkness.

----------------------------

Her dream now gone, Tohru opened her eyes slowly and she saw a blur of bright colors. She thought she was back in her wonderful dream but the sound of monitors beeping said otherwise. Tohru's vision cleared and she found herself staring at the tiled ceiling. She felt numb and weak but she was able to move her head slightly to the side.