8

The time came around again when you had to go out and stock up on groceries for the home. Your mother had been the one to ask you seeing as you had more free time on your hands with Yeosang and Seonghwa taking over some of the chores that only you and your parents were able to tend to. So now it was that time in the week where she would give you a list to go out to the weekend market to get things for the family.

"Would you like someone to accompany you?" Your sister had asked you before you left the lobby.

"No." You shook your head. "I should be fine." You gave her smile to calm her a bit.

You knew by the face she pulled she sometimes worried about the gangs that the men at the bar would bring up. While it was the middle of the day and it was rare for outlaws to come in, she was still your sister. However for you, you knew you had nothing to worry about when it came to this so-called gang.

"I'll accompany you." A male's voice rang out. Jongho was buttoning up his vest, the metal deputy star on his chest on display as he walked closer. "I was heading out anyways."

"Thank you, Jongho." You told him with a smile, eyes almost closing from how wide your lips stretched.

"Give me a moment to get my things." He turned back around towards the hallway, moving out of sight.

"What are you doing?" Your sister's question made you turn to her. She was looking at you with a scrunched up face, almost as if she was looking at a completely different person.

"What do you mean?" You asked.

"I thought dad told you to butter Yeosang up." She proclaimed. "Also you have never talked to a man and suddenly you have three claiming to be your friend and wanting to take you out. What are you doing?" She repeated.

"Nothing." You frowned. "I swear."

She had raised her eyebrows, her face showing that she wasn't one to be fooled by what you said. You knew she was suspicious already since the day she found you in the deputies room, but the way she was looking at you now made you feel icky.

"Don't look at me like that." You shook your head.

"I don't want others to think things of you, (Y/N)." She sighed.

Your shoulders slumped when you realized what it was she was talking about. You knew what they said about the women who didn't marry by a certain age or saw them with men all the time. They were often talked about by the other ladies, criticized for living the way they wanted. You never spoke to one of those kinds of women, but you oftentimes did wonder why it was they reached that point.

However, hearing it from your own sister that she was worried others would see you the same way meant that she was thinking it. It bothered you, but you knew she didn't mean any harm by it.

"And if they do, that's on them." You shook your head. "My business is my business. I'm not roped down to anyone but myself."

"Ready." Jongho stopped the conversation, giving you sister a nod of his head.

You gave her a weak smile from over your shoulders, turning around to follow after the policeman. Like last time, he allowed you to walk out the door first, following in your steps at your side. Once more you took notice of the manners he had, moving you to the other side of the sidewalk. He took up the one where the carriages passed and the occasional vehicle.

If he noticed your stare on him on the way to the market he didn't ask you about it. But after a bit you realized you were looking for too long so you decided to start up a conversation.

"I've noticed you and Yunho have been going out more." You spoke to him. "How is Cromer?"

"It's a lot smaller than we're used to for sure." He answered, keeping his eyes around his surroundings. "It has things that get us by though. Can't complain." He shrugged.