41

There was something about the atmosphere that made everything feel tense. At least to your father it felt that way. He had patrons already waiting in the saloon for the afternoon, all talking in hushed whispers as they gossiped about something having to do with city hall. Your father frowned, opening the door to allow them all in for an afternoon drink.

"What's going on?" Your mother asked, watching as the men cheered about some things while others ordered drinks they normally wouldn't.

"I don't know." Your father shrugged. "A lot of people started coming in all happy and talking about something that happened."

"A miracle is what it was." Someone overheard your parents, inserting themselves into the conversation.

"It wasn't some miracle!" Someone else scoffed. "It was the work of the mayor! Always knew that Klein didn't do anything for selfish reasons." He turned to your parents grin on his face as he thought about their precious mayor.

"You haven't heard? He returned all the money from the extra taxes he's been adding. At least to the less fortunate." He explained.

Your mother's eyebrows rose, quickly pulling together as she thought about the small pouch she had found in the back office. Looking over at your father, she pulled him along. "Excuse me." She said to the customers.

"(F/N) where did we get all that extra cash from?" She quietly asked.

"I honestly don't know." Your father shrugged. "It was just left in a bag in the mail." He looked at the men who were talking. "Should I return it? We aren't in desperate need of it."

"I think you should give it to the hospital. I'm sure they need it more." Your mother spoke up after a moment.

Your father hummed a bit, thinking about how you were fairing. "Do you think (Y/N) needs it? Maybe we can give her money for her new home." He told your mother.

"Maybe just a little." Your mother smiled softly. She suddenly frowned as she thought about where she would have to take the money though. "She never told us where she lived."

"Maybe (S/N) knows." Your father told her, causing her to nod. They went back to their work positions, your mother quickly finding your sister doing some laundry out back while you little brother watched.

"Do you know where (Y/N) and Yeosang live?" Your mother asked her, causing her to look up with wide eyes. "We were going to give them some money for their home."

Your sister didn't really think your parents would approve of you living in tents in the middle of the woods. She kind of hoped you would have found something by then but knowing what it was the boys did she was sure you wouldn't have a stable home for a while. At least not here in Cromer for the time being.

"They live in the wood-"

"Some wooden cabin a bit ways from here." She cut off your brother, wiping her hands off on her skirts. Glancing at the small pouch in her mother's hands, she gave the woman a smile. "I can take it to them."

"It's alright!" Your mother waved her off. "We'll all go."

"No, mom really." She shook her head again. "I should do it!"

Before they got the chance to argue more, commotion in the distance stopped them. A crowd was forming at the church they would go to every Sunday. It was at the end of the street, with a long driveway that doubled as a lawn where gatherings were held.

"What's going on?" Your mother frowned, beginning to make her way over.

Your siblings followed along, eyes casting over the mob that was taking up the church's driveway. There were confused people as well as angry. The orphans who were being taken care of by the nuns were all huddled behind them, trying to hide from the people yelling.

Some men had tried to reach the children, one succeeding in grabbing a hold of a little boy's arm.

"Stop!" Your mother screamed. "Leave them alone!" She rushed forward and quickly shoved the man away.

"Can't you see they're just children." She screamed at him.

Your father had rushed forward, pulling your mother back to keep from having the aggressive man do something to her. Your eldest brother held back your siblings, trying to keep them from harm. It was clear where it was you got your heroic spirit from, your sense of justice coming out when there were people in need.

"Children to criminals!" The man sneered. "They took our money to keep for themselves! All of them!" He screamed.

A few of the people murmured to themselves over the speculation while less agreed with the man. Your father looked over the people who lived in the church, frowning his eyebrows as he took in the three nuns and 6 children. The father of the church made sure to huddle them all behind him, pulling the little boy who had gotten grabbed into his side.

"They are children!" The father scoffed. "How dare you think that of them!?"

"They were found with the money taken from the vault." Someone shouted out. "These nuns are not as innocent as they claim."

"God will strike you down for the lies you tell." One of the nuns yelled back.

"And for your sins, sister?" They continued to argue.

"Do not speak to her that way!" Your father walked over to the church people, sticking an arm out to defend them.

"Where could they have possibly gotten all that money? It's an orphanage!"

Some of the town's police had turned up, moving people away from the crowd to come up at the front. Our sister noticed the sheriff hiding amongst the people, watching the arguments go down with a harsh stare. She furrowed her eyebrows, before turning to look at her dad.

"And where did you get it? Cheating your way through gambling?" Your father sneered back, looking at the man with a harsh glare.

"They're probably hanging around the wrong kind of people. Probably have to do with those boys working at your hotel." The man retorted, turning everyone's attention onto your family.

They began to murmur again, this time the sheriff looking at your father with an upturned nose. Your sister swallowed her spit to relieve the dryness in her throat. She had a bad feeling about all of this and had no idea how to solve it. The only one she thought of was you.

"I hear they are friends with those officers from the capital. They're probably crooked cops." The man continued.

"That is my son in law you're talking about." Your father looked angry, walking up chest to chest with the man. "You better watch yourself." He added.

"You defending them?" He asked your father. "Don't tell me you're involved." He scoffed.

"I wouldn't open my mouth if I were you. I know things that can ruin you." Your father threatened.

"Threatening me now?" He huffed. The man turned around to face the crowd, eyes catching sight of the sheriff. They gave each other nods of their heads, understanding where things were gonna go.

"We'll see how that ends for you, (L/N)." He told your father.

Your father gave the sheriff a look before calmly walking over to your siblings and mother. Your mother pulled him into a tight hug. As your sister watched the sheriff talk with the man who was arguing, she turned to look at her parents.

"Dad." Your sister called out, her tone full of worry.

"Give all the money to (Y/N)." He whispered over your mom's shoulder and towards your sister. "She'll know where to hide it."