Yokosuka

Yokosuka Naval Arsenal.

September 1, 1923.

"Yes, that's good! Now, lower it slowly!" A massive Yard-mother ordered as the crane lowered armored plating down to the ship she was working on. Yokosuka heard light footsteps headed towards her as random workers called out to someone.

"Six tails already?" Nodding, a brown-haired girl smiled politely.

"Hey, Amagi! How was practice?" Another worker yelled from the scaffolding. 

"It went great! I've gotten really good lately!" A teenage Amagi grinned and held up her shamisen proudly. Other workers cheered and praised the girl as only one person didn't, her own Yard-mother Yokosuka.

"What have I told you about being on the slip during working hours?" Yokosuka said sternly, fixing the large armored plate in it's correct spot.

"You told me not to be..., but I thought I could play for everyone since it's almost lunchtime." Amagi said innocently as Yokosuka turned towards the ship-girl, frowning with her hands on her hips.

"Pleaaaassee?" Amagi started as all the workers joined her in begging.

"Fine!" Yokosuka put her finger and thumb to her mouth and whistled loudly. "That's lunch everyone!" 

All the workers cheered and began climbing down as Amagi climbed up and stepped onto her unfinished bow.

"Miss Yokosuka! There's a telephone call for you!" A worker yelled from the office building's 2nd story window.

"Who is it!" The Yard-mother yelled back.

"It sounds like Lady Kure, and she doesn't sound happy!" The worker replied.

"The miserable bitch never is." The large shipyard made her way to her office adjusting her size as she went. That's when Amagi began to play, causing the stern woman to smile shortly.

"Hmm, she has gotten better."

Yokosuka stepped into her office and answered the phone politely.

"About damn time!" Kure's sharp voice cut across the receiver as Yokosuka rolled her eyes.

"Can I help you with something Kure?" Yoko breathed in deeply, grabbed a drink off her desk.

"Well, Akagi just got her fourth tail, I bet Amagi doesn't even have two." Bragged the Yard-mother, causing Yokosuka to look out the window at Amagi playing.

"Oh that's cute, Amagi has had six for a week now. Cut the crap Kure, what do you want?" Yokosuka lied as Kure got quiet.

"Mitsubishi is putting in her Tosa girls for the carrier conversion brought on by the treaty."

"And?" Yoko questioned.

"And I want Akagi and Amagi to be put in for it to." Suddenly Yokosuka felt a tremor, as the ground shook.

Back outside people looked and laughed nervously as Amagi stopped playing and looked around. 

Suddenly a great plume of birds sprung into the sky as if trying to escape a giant predator.

"Hey! Are you listening!" Kure yelled as Yokosuka's eyes widened as the ground started to shake violently now.

"OH NO! AMAGI!" 

Yokosuka looked around the office to see people panicking as things began to slide and shake.

"EARTHQUAKE!!! Everyone out!" Yokosuka screamed as everyone ran outside to find the shipyard tearing itself apart.

"Amagi! Get down!" The workers called up as she desperately tried to crawl to the edge. All around her the ship creaked and shook, as cracks appeared from the side and the front, threatening to give way any minute. 

"Please... not like this..." Amagi sobbed softly as tears fell.

She begged weakly as she looked behind her and saw the ocean, the waves coming closer and closer until suddenly everything exploded. 

A giant wave knocked Amagi over, sending her flying across the yard, and hitting a wall that gave way with a loud crash. As young girl lay there motionless, the entire yard trembling and shattering around her.

Finally, the ship of Amagi collapsed on the slip and sank partially into the water, leaving nothing behind but rubble.

After everything had finally settled, Yokosuka picked herself up, her chest heaving heavily and her knees shaking. Despite her massive size and strength, Yokosuka's was a mere child in the face of mother natures fury  

"Amagi..." She whispered as more tears flowed down her face as the reality of the situation came crashing in.

"I'm so sorry..." 

A couple weeks later.

Yokosuka was sitting alone in her office as her thoughts had been consumed by Amagi's recent death.

Yokosuka was used to seeing her children go through life happily while never forgetting them or their loss. Akagi would go on never knowing what happened to Amagi as Kaga was introduced as her sister instead, having her sister have met a similar fate of being unfinished.

Soon the war came and the other Yard-mothers were ecstatic, they all had raised the strongest and most advanced Navy of it's time, The IJN. Every destroyer, cruiser, battleship, and carrier slid from their slipways and headed proudly into battle. When the war ended, they were defeated and laid waste to. Yokosuka was turned over to the union and the few left were quickly scrapped or used for target practice.

And so ended the Might and Terror of IJN...